An elliptical shape patch (ESP) antenna with inverted U-shaped slots is proposed and presented in this paper for on-body communication. A coplanar waveguide (CPW) feed is used as ground to produce impedance matching, and inverted U-shaped slots are used to produce the ultra-wideband (UWB). The proposed ESP antenna model covers UWB characteristics in free space, and it is observed at 3 to 10.7 GHz. When it is implanted on flat tissue model of human body, the bandwidth is 2.2 to 10.8 GHz. The SAR values of 1.26 W/kg and 1.58 W/kg are observed on-body at 4.9 GHz and 7.3 GHz operating frequencies, respectively. The results with respect to radiation pattern, gain, reflection coefficient, surface current distribution are also presented.
2. Janapala, D. K., M. Nesasudha, and T. Mary Neebha, "SAR analysis of UWB antennas for wireless body area network applications," Body Area Network Challenges and Solutions, 105-129, Dec. 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-00865-9_6.
3. Alomainy, A., Y. Hao, C. Parini, and P. Hall, "Characterisation of printed UWB antennas for on-body communications," IEE Wideband and Multi-band Antennas and Arrays, 2005.
4. Adam, A. A., S. K. Abdul Rahim, K. G. Tan, and A. W. Reza, "Design of 3.1 to 12 GHz printed elliptical disc monopole antenna with half circular modified ground plane for UWB application," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 69, 535-549, 2013.
5. Kim, S. W. and D.-Y. Choi, "Implementation of rectangular slit-inserted ultra-wideband tapered slot antenna," Springer Plus, Vol. 5, 2016, doi: 10.1186/s40064-016-3033-4.
6. Kakhki, M. B. and P. Rezaei, "Reconfigurable microstrip slot antenna with DGS for UWB application," EUCAP, Vol. 9, 1517-1522, Sep. 2017.
7. Zhong, Y.-W., G.-M. Yang, and L.-R. Zheng, "Planar circular patch with elliptical slot antenna for ultrawideband communication application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 325-328, 2015.
8. Huang, C. Y. and W. C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultrawideband communication," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 6, 296-297, 2005.
9. Catherwood, P. A., S. S. Bukhari, G. Watt, W. G. Whittow, and J. McLaughlin, "Body-centric wireless hospital patient monitoring network using body-contoured flexible antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 2, 203-210, 2018.
10. Bhattacharyya, S., A. Bhattacharya, and I. Sarkar, "An ultra-wideband microstrip antenna with dual-band filtering for biomedical application," Advancements of Medical Electronics, 293-306, Jan. 2015.
11. Chi, Y.-J. and F.-C. Chen, "On body adhesive-bandage-like antenna for wireless medical telemetry services," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2472-2480, May 2014.
12. See, T. S. P. and Z. N. Chen, "Experimental characterization of UWB antennas for on-body communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 866-874, Apr. 2009.
13. Cheng, S., P. Hallbjorner, and A. Rydberg, "Printed slot planar inverted cone antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 18-21, 2008.
14. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, and H. B. Zhu, "Compact frequency notched ultra-wideband fractal printed slot antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 4, 224-226, Apr. 2006.
15. Bharadwaj, R., C. Parini, S. K. Koul, and A. Alomainy, "Effect of limb movements on compact UWB wearable antenna radiation performance for healthcare monitoring," Progress In Electronics Research C, Vol. 91, 15-26, 2019.
16. Kumar, B. K., P. V. V. Kishore, and K. K. Naik, "Design of rectangular patch antenna with X-slots for wireless communications," 2018 Second International Conference on Inventive Communication and Computational Technologies (ICICCT), 1448-1451, 2018, doi: 10.1109/ICICCT.2018.8473111.
17. Alomainy, A., A. Sani, A. Rahman, J. G. Santas, and Y. Hao, "Transient characteristics of wearable antennas and radio propagation channels for ultrawideband body-centric wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 875-884, Apr. 2009.
18. Raad, H. K., H. M. Al-Rizzo, A. Abbosh, and A. I. Hammoodi, "A compact dual band polyimide based antenna for wearable and flexible telemedicine devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 153-161, 2016.
19. Kumar Naik, K., S. Chaithanya Satya Teja, B. V. S. Sailaja, and P. A. Sri, "Design of flexible parasitic element patch antenna for biomedical application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 94, 143-153, 2020.
20. Ketavath, K. N., D. Gopi, and S. S. Rani, "In-vitro test of miniaturized CPW-fed implantable conformal patch antenna at ISM band for biomedical applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 43547-43554, Mar. 2019.