This paper aims to classify oil samples using the Metamaterial (MTM) unit cell as a sensor. The S-shaped broadside coupled Split-Ring Resonator (SRR) acts as an MTM and is designed to operate at X-band (8-12.4 GHz). The proposed MTM unit cell was simulated through the High Frequency EM simulation tool, and then the MTM properties were extracted using the standard equations. The MTM behavior was studied through its negative permittivity and permeability characteristics in the X-Band. The simulated and extracted properties exhibit that the proposed MTM unit cell is suitable for the analysis at X-band. A sample container was designed to hold the different oil samples. The experimental analysis was carried out by filling the container with different oils without/with an MTM sensor. Mainly, the variations in S-parameters magnitude were studied for classification applications. This paper proposes the study of transmission coefficients phase response in addition to magnitude as an easy way to classify different oils. Further, the phase transition results were compared with the kinematic viscosity and refractive index properties of the oil sample. The comparison results proved that the classification of oil samples using the phase transition approach agrees well with the existing oil properties.
2. Islam, M. R., M. T. Islam, A. Hoque, M. S. Soliman, B. Bais, N. M. Sahar, and S. H. A. Almalki, "Tri circle split ring resonator shaped metamaterial with mathematical modeling for oil concentration sensing," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 161087-161102, 2021.
3. Lee, W., S.-I. Choi, H.-I. Kim, S. Hwang, S. Jeon, and Y.-K. Yoon, "Metamaterial-integrated high-gain rectenna for RF sensing and energy harvesting applications," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 19, 6580, 2021.
4. Abdulkarim, Y. I., L. Deng, O. Altintas, E. Unal, and M. Karaaslan, "Metamaterial absorber sensor design by incorporating swastika shaped resonator to determination of the liquid chemicals depending on electrical characteristics," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 114, 113593, 2019.
5. Islam, M. T., A. Hoque, A. F. Almutairi, and N. Amin, "Left-handed metamaterial-inspired unit cell for S-band glucose sensing application," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 1, 169, 2019.
6. Logeswaran, J. and R. B. Rani, "UWB antenna as a sensor for the analysis of dissolved particles and water quality," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 106, 31-39, 2022.
7. Ahmed, K., M. J. Haque, M. A. Jabin, B. K. Paul, I. S. Amiri, and P. Yupapin, "Tetra-core surface plasmon resonance based biosensor for alcohol sensing," Physica B: Condensed Matter, Vol. 570, 2019.
8. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, Th. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Physical Review E, Vol. 71, No. 3, 036617, 2005.
9. Tamer, A., F. Karadag, E. Unal, Y. I. Abdulkarim, L. Deng, O. Altintas, M. Bakir, and M. Karaaslan, "Metamaterial based sensor integrating transmission line for detection of branded and unbranded diesel fuel," Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 742, 137169, 2020.
10. Abdulkarim, Y. I., L. Deng, M. Karaaslan, S. Dalgac, R. H. Mahmud, F. Ozkan Alkurt, F. F. Muhammadsharif, H. N. Awl, S. Huang, and H. Luo, "The detection of chemical materials with a metamaterial-based sensor incorporating oval wing resonators," Electronics, Vol. 9, 825, 2020.
11. Altintas, O., M. Aksoy, and E. Unal, "Design of a metamaterial inspired omega shaped resonator based sensor for industrial implementations," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 116, 2020.
12. Bakir, M., S. Dalgac, M. Karaaslan, F. Karadag, O. Akgol, E. Unal, T. Depci, C. Sabah, "A comprehensive study on fuel adulteration sensing by using triple ring resonator type metamaterial," Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 166, B1044-B1052, 2019.
13. Tumkaya, M. A., E. Unal, and C. Sabah, "Metamaterial-based fuel sensor application with three rhombus slots," International Journal of Modern Physics B, Vol. 33, 2019.
14. Islam, M. R., M. T. Islam, B. Bais, S. H. A. Almalki, and H. Alsaif, "Metamaterial sensor based on rectangular enclosed adjacent triple circle split ring resonator with good quality factor for microwave sensing application," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, 6792, 2022.
15. Hamadou, B., R. Z. Falama, C. Delattre, G. Pierre, P. Dubessay, and P. Michaud, "Influence of physicochemical characteristics of neem seeds (Azadirachta indica A. Juss) on biodiesel production," Biomolecules, Vol. 10, 2020.
16. Madiwale, S. and V. Bhojwani, "An overview on production, properties, performance and emission analysis of blends of biodiesel," Procedia Technology, Vol. 25, 2016.