The thickness measurement of concrete is one of the most important commercial applications of ground-penetrating radar (GPR) technique. This paper describes a procedure for estimating the thickness of concrete slab for different moisture contents (MCs) in frequency domain, as in Impulse-Response (IR) Method, over the radar frequency band 100 MHz-2 GHz). The method is based on predicting the reflected frequency spectrum through a concrete slab using Jonscher model. The procedure is explained and examples of results are presented.
2. Tinkey, Y. and L. D. Olson, "Applications and limitations of impact echo scanning for void detection in posttensioned bridge ducts," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2070, 8-12, Dec. 2008.
3. Bourdi, T., J. E. Rhazi, F. Boone, G. Ballivy, "Modelling dielectric-constant values of concrete: An aid to shielding e®ectiveness prediction and ground-penetrating radar wave technique interpretation," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 45, 405401, 2012.
4. Loulizi, A., I. L. Al-Qadi, and S. Lahouar, "Ground-penetrating radar signal modeling to assess concrete structures," ACI Mater. J., Vol. 99, 28291, 2002.
5. Daniels, D. J., D. J. Gunton, and H. F. Scott, "Introduction to subsurface radar," Proceedings Institution of Electrical Engineers, Part F, Vol. 135, No. 4, 278-320, Aug. 1988.
6. Halabe, U. B., A. Sotoodehnia, K. R. Maser, and E. A. Kausel, "Modeling the electromagnetic properties of concrete," ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 90, No. 6, 552-563, Nov.-Dec. 1993.
7. Bourdi, T., J. E. Rhazi, F. Boone, and G. Ballivy, "Application of jonscher model for the characterization of the dielectric permittivity of concrete," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, 205410, 2008.
8. Soutsos, M. N. , J. H. Bungey, S. G. Millard, M. R. Shaw, and A. Patterson, "Dielectric properties of concrete and their influence on radar testing," NDT & E Int., Vol. 34, 41925, 2001.
9. Shaari, A., S. G. Millard, and J. H. Bungey, "Modelling the propagation of a radar signal through concrete as a low-pass filter," NDT & E Int., Vol. 37, 23742, 2004.
10. Stain, R. T., "Integrity testing," Civil Engineering, 55-59 and 77-87, United Kingdom, Apr. and May 1982.
11. Olson, L. D. and C. C. Wright, "Nondestructive testing for repair and rehabilitation," Concrete International,, Vol. 12, No. 3, 58-64, Mar. 1990.
12. Skolnik, M. L., Introduction to Radar Systems, 2nd Ed., McGraw Hill, New York, 1980.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.