This paper presents the novel theoretical design, CAD modeling, and performance analysis of a compact and reliable microwave beamforming network (MBFN) which has been developed based on the RF Rotman lens switched-beam steered array for operation in Ku frequency band. The objective of this investigation is to develop a passive beam steering microwave network device intended for the potential suitable use in satellite communications beam scanning electronically scanned arrays. A thorough Ku-band satellite microwave network system has been theoretically designed and simulated along with the analysis of its output RF characteristics. The antenna array feeding network is capable of multi-beams generation and wide-band operation in terms of the true-time-delay (TDD) and low dispersive properties in order to allow simultaneous operation of multiple RF beams. The Rotman lens demonstrates the potential appropriateness in order to develop a high-performance and well-established design for advanced satellite microwave systems, services, and devices.
2. Rahimian, A. and A. Rahimian, "Enhanced RF steerable beam-forming networks based on Butler matrix and Rotman lens for ITS applications," IEEE Region 8 Int. Conf. Computational Technologies in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (SIBIRCON), 567-572, Jul. 2010.
3. Kushwah, R. P. S., P. K. Singhal, and P. C. Sharma, "Design of symmetric bootlace lens with gain analysis at UHF band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 83-89, 2009.
4. Hall, P. S. and S. J. Vetterlein, "Review of radio frequency beam-forming techniques for scanned and multiple beam antennas," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 137, 293-303, Oct. 1990.
5. Weiss, S., "Low profile arrays with integrated beamformers," Proc. IEEE ICWITS, 1-4, Aug. 2010.
6. Dong, J. and A. I. Zaghloul, "Hybrid ray tracing method for microwave lens simulation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3786-3796, Oct. 2011.
7. Singhal, P. K., P. C. Sharma, and R. D. Gupta, "Rotman lens with equal height of array and feed contours," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 51, No. 8, 2048-2056, Aug. 2003.
8. Penney, C., "Rotman lens design and simulation in software [application notes]," IEEE Microwave Mag., Vol. 9, No. 6, 138-139, Dec. 2008.
9. Rahimian, A., "Microwave beamforming networks employing Rotman lenses and cascaded Butler matrices for automotive communications beam scanning electronically steered arrays," Microwaves, Radar and Remote Sensing Symp. (MRRS), 351-354, Aug. 2011.
10. Weiss, S., S. Keller, and C. Ly, "Development of simple affordable beamformers for army platforms," GOMACTech | 07 Conf., Mar. 2006.
11. Zhang, Y. and V. Fusco, "N-way switch based on Rotman lens," Electronics Lett., Vol. 48, No. 5, 270-271, Mar. 2012.
12. Zhang, Y., S. Christie, V. Fusco, R. Cahill, G. Goussetis, and D. Linton, "Reconfigurable beam forming using phase-aligned Rotman lens," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propag., Vol. 6, No. 3, 326-330, Feb. 2012.
13. Lee, W. , J. Kim, C. S. Cho, and Y. J. Yoon, "Beamforming lens antenna on a high resistivity silicon wafer for 60 GHz WPAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 58, No. 3, 706-713, Mar. 2010.
14. Simon, P. S., "Analysis and synthesis of Rotman lenses," 22nd AIAA Int. Communications Satellite Systems Conf. Exhibit., May 2004.
15. Rahimian, A., "Microwave beamforming networks for intelligent transportation systems," Intelligent Transportation Systems, 123-142, Ahmed Abdel-Rahim, Ed., InTech, Rijeka, 2012.
16. Maybell, M., "Ray structure method for coupling coefficient analysis of the two dimensional Rotman lens," Proc. Antennas Propag. Society Int. Symp., Vol. 19, 144-147, Jun. 1981.
17. Hussain, M. G. M. and A. S. Alzayed, "Beam-pattern synthesis using slotted Rotman lenses," Intl. J. RF Microwave Computer-Aided Eng., Vol. 21, 570-577, Sep. 2011.
18. Singhal, P. K., R. D. Gupta, and P. C. Sharma, "Recent trends in design and analysis of Rotman-type lens for multiple beamforming," Intl. J. RF Microwave Computer-Aided Eng., Vol. 8, 321-338, Jul. 1998.
19. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, K. Wu, Z. Q. Kuai, C. Yu, J. X. Chen, J. Y. Zhou, and H. J. Tang, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) Rotman lens and its Ka-band multibeam array antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2504-2513, Aug. 2008.
doi: --- Piped Query must contain either 9 (for journals) or 11 (for books/conference proceedings) pipes.