In this work two model selection criteria, i.e., Akaike's information criterion (AIC) and minimum description length (MDL), are applied to measurements in a RC with Rayleigh, Rician, Nakagami, Bessel K, and Weibull distributions as the distribution candidate set. In spite of small differences of the AIC and MDL tests (due to their different penalty terms on distribution parameters), both criteria result in similar conclusions. Results show that the Rayleigh distribution provides the overall good fit to the Cartesian field amplitude, especially for an overmoded RC, and that the Weibull distribution provides good fit to the Cartesian field amplitude in an undermoded or loaded RC. In addition, it is found that both the Rician and Weibull distributions provide improved approximations of the Cartesian field amplitude in a loaded RC with non-negligible unstirred components and that the transition from undermoded RC to overmoded RC depends not only on the operating frequency and mode-stirrer efficiency (as it is commonly believed) but also on source stirring and RC loading.
2. Corona, P., G. Ferrara, and M. Migliaccio, "Reverberating chamber electromagnetic field in presence of an unstirred component," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 42, No. 2, 111-115, 2000.
3. Orjubin, G., E. Richalot, S. Mengue, and O. Picon, "Statistical model of an undermoded reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 1, 248-250, Feb. 2006.
4. Arnaut, L. R., "Limit distributions for imperfect electromagnetic reverberation," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 2, 357-377, Aug. 2003.
5. Lemoine, C., P. Besnier, and M. Drissi, "Investigation of reverberation chamber measurements through high-power goodness-of-fit tests," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 4, 745-755, Nov. 2007.
6. Primiani, V. M. and F. Moglie, "Numerical simulation of reverberation chamber parameters affecting the received power statistics," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 3, 522-532, 2012.
7. Cerri, G., V. M. Primiani, S. Pennesi, and P. Russo, "Source stirring mode for reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 4, 815-823, 2005.
8. Chen, X., "On independent platform sample number for reverberation chamber measurements," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1306-1309, Dec. 2012.
9. Sorrentino, A., L. Mascolo, G. Ferrara, and M. Migliaccio, "The fractal nature of the electromagnetic field within a reverberating chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 157-167, 2012.
10. Chen, X., "Measurements and evaluations of multi-element antennas based on limited channel samples in a reverberation chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 45-62, 2012.
11. Staniec, K. and A. J. Pomianek, "On simulating the radio signal propagation in the reverberation chamber with the ray launching method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 83-99, 2011.
12. Arsalane, N., M. Mouhamadou, C. Decroze, D. Carsenat, M. A. Garcia-Fernandez, and T. Monediere, "3GPP channel model emulation with analysis of MIMO-LTE performances in model emulation with analysis of MIMO-LTE performances in reverberation chamber," Int. J. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 2012, Article ID 239420, 8 Pages, 2012.
13. Holloway, C. L., D. A. Hill, J. M. Ladbury, P. F. Wilson, G. Koepke, and J. Coder, "On the use of reverberation chamber to simulate a Rician radio environment for the testing of wireless devices," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3167-3177, Nov. 2006.
14. Agostino, R. B. and M. A. Stephen, Goodness-of-fit Techniques, Marcel Dekker, 1986.
15. Akaike, H., "Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle," Proc. Int. Symp. Inf. Theory, Budapest, Hungary, 1973.
16. Rissanen, J., "Modeling by shortest data description," Automatica, Vol. 14, 465-471, 1978.
17. Linhart, H. and W. Zucchini, Model Selection, John Wiley & Sons, 1986.
18. Kay, S. M., "Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Estimation Theory," Prentice Hall, 1993.
19. Chen, X., P.-S. Kildal, and S.-H. Lai, "Estimation of average Rician K-factor and average mode bandwidth in loaded reverberation chamber," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1437-1440, 2011.