In this paper the derivation of a rigorous expression of the input admittance of a coaxially fed, infinite, lossy parallel plate waveguide (PPWG) is presented. The derivation makes use of the dyadic Green's function of the PPWG expressed as series a cylindrical wave-functions. Losses into the dielectric plates and on the conductors are considered rigorously. The approximation used in results presented in the past literature are critically discussed. Numerical experiments are performed to show the effects of the finite conductivity on the input impedance of the PPWG.
2. Hashimoto, K., J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "A post-wall waveguide center-feed parallel plate slot array antenna in the millimeter-wave band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3532-3538, 2010.
3. Amendola, G., E. Arnieri, L. Boccia, and V. Ziegler, "Annular ring slot radiating element for integrated millimeter wave arrays," Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2012, 3082-3085, 2012.
4. Hao, X., D. R. Jackson, and J. T. Williams, "Comparison of models for the probe inductance for a parallel-plate waveguide and a microstrip patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3229-3235, 2005.
5. Hu, Y., Y. J. Zhang, and J. Fan, "Equivalent circuit model of coaxial probes for patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 281-296, 2012.
6. Xu, M. and T. H. Hubing, "The development of a closed-form expression for the input impedance of power-return plane structures," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 3, 478-485, 2003.
7. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Analysis of substrate integrated waveguide structures based on the parallel-plate waveguide Green's function," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1615-1623, 2008.
8. Amendola, G., E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Analysis of lossy SIW structures based on the parallel plates waveguide Green's function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 157-169, 2012.
9. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Method of moments analysis of slotted substrate integrated waveguide arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1148-1154, 2011.
10. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Resonant frequencies of circular substrate integrated resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 239-241, 2008.
11. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Computation of the resonant frequency and quality factor of lossy substrate integrated waveguide resonators by method of moments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 107-117, 2013.
12. Angiulli, G., "Design of square substrate waveguide cavity resonators: Compensation of modelling errors by support vector regression machines," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1872-1875, 2012.
13. Angiulli, G., "On the computation of nonlinear eigenvalues in electromagnetics problems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 527-532, 2007.
14. Zheng, J.-X. and D. C. Chang, "End-correction network of a coaxial probe for microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 1, 115-118, 1991.
15. Williamson, A. G., "Equivalent circuit for radial-line/coaxial-line junction," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 300-301, 1981.
16. Vandenbosch, G. A. E. and A. R. Van de Capelle, "Reduction of coaxial feed between two parallel conductors into finite number of voltage sources," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, No. 25, 2387-2389, 1991.
17. Tomasic, B. and A. Hessel, "Electric and magnetic current sources in the parallel plate waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 11, 1307-1310, 1987.
18. Wu, D. and C. Ruan, "Analysis on a radial-line/coaxial-line junction," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 10, 994-998, 1998.
19. Huang, C., L. Tsang, and C. H. Chan, "Multiple scattering among vias in lossy planar waveguides using SMCG method," IEEE Transaction on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 25, No. 2, 181-188, 2002.
20. Otoshi, T. Y. and M. M. Franco, "The electrical conductivities of steel and other candidate materials for shrouds in a beam-waveguide antenna system," IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 45, No. 1, 77-83, 1996.
21. Yoshitomi, K., "Equivalent currents for an aperture in an impedance surface," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 11, 1554-1556, 1994.