The transmission and reflection coefficients of electromagnetic waves propagating through the finite periodically layered chiral structure are defined both theoretically (using the propagation matrix method) and experimentally. The coefficients of the propagation matrix of the periodically layered chiral medium are obtained. The boundaries of the forbidden bands for a periodic medium, whose unit cell consists of two different chiral layers were determined. It is shown that the boundaries of the forbidden bands do not depend on the chirality parameter of the layers. It is found that for certain values of the layers thicknesses, the forbidden band widths tend to zero and that the proposed method for calculation of the reflection and transmission coefficients can be used to determine the effective constitutive parameters of artificial chiral metamaterials. The transmission and reflection coefficients of plane electromagnetic waves propagated through the finite periodically layered chiral structure were determined experimentally for 20-40 GHz range. A good agreement between the experimental results and theoretical studies of the forbidden band spectrum for the structure under research has been shown.
2. Yariv, A. and P. Yeh, Optical Waves in Crystals, Wiley, New York, 1990.
3. Tuz, V. R., M. Yu. Vidil, and S. L. Prosvirnin, "Polarization transformations by a magneto-photonic layered structure in the vicinity of a ferromagnetic resonance," Journal of Optics, Vol. 12, No. 9, 095102, 2010.
4. Girich, A. A., S. Yu. Polevoy, S. I. Tarapov, A. M. Merzlikin, A. B. Granovsky, and D. P. Belozorov, "Experimental study of the Faraday effect in 1D-photonic crystal in millimeter waveband," Solid State Phenomena, Vol. 190, 365-368, 2012.
5. Tarapov, S. I. and D. P. Belozorov, "Microwaves in dispersive magnetic composite media (review article)," Low Temperature Physics, Vol. 38, No. 7, 766-792, 2012.
6. Lekner, J., "Optical properties of isotropic chiral media," Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 5, 417-443, 1996.
7. Tuz, V. R. and V. B. Kazanskiy, "Depolarization properties of a periodic sequence of chiral and material layers," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, No. 11, 2704-2709, 2008.
8. Tuz, V. R. and C.-W. Qiu, "Semi-infinite chiral nihility photonics: Parametric dependence, wave tunneling and rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 139-152, 2010.
9. Ivanov, O. V., Electromagnetic Wave Propagation in Anisotropic and Bianisotropic Layered Structures, UlSTU, Ulyanovsk, 2010 (in Russian).
10. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-Isotropic Media, Artech House, Boston-London, 1994.
11. Katsenelenbaum, B. Z., E. N. Korshunova, A. N. Sivov, and A. D. Shatrov, "Chiral electromagnetic objects," Phys. Usp., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1149-1160, 1997.
12. Landau, L. D. and E. M. Lifshitz, The Classical Theory of Fields, Nauka, Moscow, 1988.
13. Polevoy, S. Y., "Experimental determination of constitutive parameters of the chiral media in the millimeter wavelength range," Radiophysics and Electronics, Vol. 4(18), No. 4, 27-33, 2013.
14. Bulgakov, A. A. and V. K. Kononenko, "Dispersion properties of cyclotron waves in periodic semiconductor-insulator structures," Technical Physics, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1313-1318, 2004.
15. Vinogradov, A. P., A. V. Dorofeenko, A. M. Merzlikin, and A. A. Lisyansky, "Surface states in photonic crystals," Phys. Usp., Vol. 53, No. 3, 243-256, 2010.
16. Polevoy, S. Y., S. L. Prosvirnin, S. I. Tarapov, and V. R. Tuz, "Resonant features of planar Faraday metamaterial with high structural symmetry," The Europ. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 61, No. 3, 030501, 2013.