In this paper, we present a detailed analysis on the invalidation of the polar format algorithm (PFA) for the dechirped echo signals in inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) imaging. After the translational motion compensation, the polar section of the dechirped signals is often undermined, and then the PFA is invalid. A revised method by range shifting is proposed to compensate the echo signals, and the standard polar section is obtained. An improved performance was achieved on the simulated and real data experiments. The theoretical analysis and the proposed method are confirmed.
2. Zhou, F., X. Bai, M. Xing, and Z. Bao, "Analysis of wide-angle radar imaging," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 5, No. 4, 449-457, 2011.
3. Xing, M., R. Wu, J. Lan, and Z. Bao, "Migration through resolution cell compensation in ISAR imaging," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 2, 141-144, Apr. 2004.
4. Wang, Y. and Y. C. Jiang, "A novel algorithm for estimating the rotation angle in ISAR imaging," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 4, 608-609, Oct. 2008.
5. Carrara, W. G. and R. S. Goodman, Spotlight Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing Algorithms, 157-189, Artech House, Boston, MA, 1995.
6. LeCaillec, J.-M., "SAR remote sensing analysis of the sea surface by polynomial filtering," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 24, No. 4, 105-107, Jul. 2007.
7. Yu, T., M. DT., . Xing, and B. Zhen, "The polar format imaging algorithm based on double chirp-Z transforms," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 4, 610-614, Oct. 2008.
8. Yang, Z. M., G. C. Sun, and M. D. Xing, "A new fast back-projection algorithm using polar format algorithm," 2013 Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 373-376, 2013.
9. Mensa, D. L., "High Resolution Radar Imaging," 1224, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1981.
10. Munoz-Ferreras, J. M. and F. Perez-Martınez, "Uniform rotational motion compensation for inverse synthetic aperture radar with non-cooperative targets," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 2, No. 1, 25-34, Jan. 2008.
11. Zhang, W. C., Z. P. Chen, and B. Yuan, "Rotational motion compensation for wide-angle ISAR imaging based on integrated cubic phase function," IET International Radar Conference 2013, Vol. 1, No. 5, 14-16, Apr. 2013.
12. Wang, M., A. K. Chan, and C. K. Chui, "Linear frequency-modulated signal detection using Radon-Ambiguity transform," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 3, 571-586, Mar. 1998.
13. O’Shea, P., "A new technique for estimating instantaneous frequency rate," IEEE Signal Processing Lett., Vol. 9, No. 8, 251-252, Aug. 2002.
14. Hu, J. M., W. Zhou, and Y. W. Fu, "Uniform rotational motion compensation for ISAR based on phase cancellation," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 4, 636-641, Jul. 2011.
15. Wang, J., X. Liu, and Z. Zhou, "Minimum-entropy phase adjustment for ISAR," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 151, No. 4, 203-209, Aug. 2004.
16. Wang, J. F. D., "Kasilingam. Global range alignment for ISAR," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 39, No. 1, 351-357, 2003.