A 2D metal photonic crystal structure with a rectangular lattice is designed for directed wave propagation in the microwave frequency band. The dispersion curve of EPC is computed for designing the directed period array.In order to favor the computing ,the rectangular period array is studied,which is differenr from the refrerence that is designed in optical range and uses the dielectric rods and hexagonal structure to compose the period array. The computed dispersion curves are combined with the theory of finite thick period array for obtainning the directed wave propagation structure. The influence of the number of metal rods on the antenna directionality is investigated, and the simulation results are compared and analyzed. It is found that when the number of transverse metal rods increases, the directionality of the antenna is enhanced, and the radiant power of the sidelobe radiation can be reduced. Based on the simulation results, the actual 2D metal photonic crystal array is constructed for the measurement validation.According to measurement results, the antenna located in the center of the array can get good directionality at 3.1 GHz.
2. Sung, Y. J. and Y. S. Kim, "An improved design of microstrip patch antennas using photonic bandgap structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 31799-31804, 2005.
3. Hwang, I. K., G. H. Kim, and Y. H. Lee, "Optimization of coupling between photonic crystal resonator and curved microfiber," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 42, 2131-2136, 2005.
4. Li, J., et al., "Photonic crystal waveguide electro-optic modulator with a wide bandwidth," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 31, 101601-101607, 2013.
5. Li, S., et al., "A tunable terahertz photonic crystal narrow-band filter," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 27, 7752-7754, 2015.
6. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, and D. Maystre, "Dispersion diagrams of Bloch modes applied to the design of directive sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, No. 1, 61-81, 2003.
7. Gralak, B., S. Enoch, and G. Tayeb, "Anomalous refractive properties of photonic crystals," Journal of the Optical Society of America A Optics Image Science & Vision, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1012-1020, 2000.
8. Villeneuve, P. R., S. Fan, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Microcavities in photonic crystals: Mode symmetry,tunability,and coupling efficiency," Phys. Rev. B Condens Matter, Vol. 54, No. 11, 7837-7842, 1996.
9. Yuan, Z., J. Haus, and K. Sakoda, "Eigenmode symmetry for simple cubic lattices and the transmission spectra," Optics Express, Vol. 3, No. 1, 19-27, 1998.
10. Li, L., "Bremmer series, R-matrix propagation algorithm, and numerical modeling of diffraction gratings," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 11, No. 11, 2829-2836, 1994.