This paper presents a new approach for linear antenna array failure correction using geometry optimization of the failed antenna elements. It is done by changing the length and spacing of failed elements while the spacing and length of remaining elements are fixed. The flower pollination algorithm based on the characteristic of flowering plants has been used to correct the radiation pattern of linear antenna array with desired side lobe level and minimum return loss. Simulations are performed using Matlab. Two examples are given to show the effectiveness of the proposed method. In addition, the obtained results from simulation on Matlab are also validated by the results obtained from FEKO analysis.
2. Godara, L. C., Handbook of Antennas in Wireless Communications, CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 2002.
3. Yeo, B. K. and Y. Lu, "Array failure correction with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 823-828, 1999.
4. Rodriquez, J. A., F. Ares, E. Moreno, and G. Franceschetti, "Genetic algorithm procedure for linear array failure correction," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, 196-198, 2000.
5. Klhan, S. U., I. M. Qureshi, B. Shoaib, and A. Naveed, "Recovery of failed element signal with a digitally beamforming using linear symmetrical array antenna," Journal of Information Science and Engineering, Vol. 32, 611-624, 2016.
6. Grewal, N. S., M. Rattan, and M. S. Patterh, "A linear antenna array failure correction using firefly algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 241-254, 2012.
7. Guney, K., A. Durmus, and S. Basbug, "Antenna array synthesis and failure correction using differential search algorithm," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 1-8, Article ID 276754, 2014.
8. Grewal, N. S., M. Rattan, and M. S. Patterh, "A linear antenna array failure correction using improved bat algorithm," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Eng., 2017, DOI: 10.1002/mmce.21119.
9. Lee, J. H. and Y. L. Chen, "Performance analysis of antenna array beamformers with mutual coupling effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 291-315, 2011.
10. Mahanti, G. K., S. Das, A. Chakrabarty, J. C. Brégains, and F. Ares, "Design of reconfigurable array antennas with minimum variation of active impedances," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 541-544, 2006.
11. Thevenot, M., C. Menudier, A. El Sayed Ahmad, Z. El Nashef, F. Fezai, Y. Abdallah, E. Arnaud, F. Torres, and T. Monediere, "Synthesis of antenna arrays and parasitic antenna arrays with mutual couplings," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 1-22, 2012.
12. Muralidharan, R., A. Vallavaraj, G. K. Mahanti, and H. Patidar, "QPSO for failure correction of linear array of mutually coupled parallel dipole antennas with desired side lobe level and return loss," Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Science, Vol. 29, 112-117, 2017.
13. Muralidharan, R., A. Vallavaraj, and G. K. Mahanti, "Firefly algorithm for failure correction of linear array of dipole antennas in presence of ground plane with mutual coupling effects," ACES Journal, Vol. 30, 1122-1128, 2015.
14. Garza, L. A., L. F. Yepes, D. H. Covarrubias, M. A. Alonso, and M. A. Panduro, "Synthesis of sparse circular antenna arrays applying a tapering technique over reconstructed continuous current distribution," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, 347-352, 2016.
15. Ibarra, M., M. A. Panduro, Á. G. Andrade, and A. Reyna, "Design of sparse concentric rings array for LEO satellites," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, 1983-2001, 2015.
16. Panduro, M. A., A. L. Mendez, R. Dominguez, and G. Romero, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays for side lobe reduction using the method of genetic algorithms," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEÜ), Vol. 60, 713-717, 2006.
17. Mandal, S. K., S. Patra, S. Salam, K.Mandal, G. K. Mahanti, and N. N. Pathak, "Failure correction of linear antenna arrays with optimized element position using differential evolution," 2016 IEEE Annual India Conference (INDICON), Bangalore, India, 2016.
18. Yang, X. S., "Flower pollination algorithm for global optimization," Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation, Vol. 2012, 240-249, 7445, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2012.
19. Saxena, P. and A. Kothari, "Linear antenna array optimization using flower pollination algorithm,", Springer Plus, 2016, DOI: 10.1186/s40064-016-1961-7.
20. Singh, U. and R. Salgotra, "Synthesis of linear antenna array using flower pollination algorithm," Neural Computing and Applications, 1-11, 2016.
21. Chakravarthy Vedula, V. S. S. S., S. R. Chowdary Paladuga, and M. R. Prithvi, "Synthesis of circular array antenna for sidelobe level and aperture size control using flower pollination algorithm," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. Article ID 819712, 2015, 1-9, 2015.
22. FEKO Suite 6.1, , EM Software and Systems (www.feko.info), 2011.