A compact wideband bandpass filter (BPF) with stopband suppression by utilizing transversal signal interaction concepts is proposed in this article. Two transmission paths from Port I to Port II are separately constructed by multi-mode step impedance resonator (SIR) and shorted coupled lines. The proposed configuration generates two controllable transmission poles, and wideband characteristic can be realized. Moreover, multiple transmission zeros are implemented by signals superposition of two transmission paths and stub loaded fans resulting in steepness sideband and broad upper stopband suppression up to 100 GHz. For clarification, the designed wideband centered at 4.5 GHz with fractional bandwidth of 14.2% is designed, assembled and measured. The circuit size of prototype BPF only occupies 0.94 cm2, and the presented BPF is evaluated by test results and simulated predictions with good agreement.
2. Xiong, Y., et al., "Dual-wideband bandpass filter with independently controllable center frequencies and wide stopband," International Journal of Microwave & Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, 93-99, 2018.
3. Li, D., et al., "Compact microstrip bandpass filter with sharp roll-off and broad stopband using modified 0◦ feed structure," International Journal of Electronic and Communications (AEU), No. 7, 17-22, 2019.
4. Malherbe, J. A. G., "Wideband bandpass filter with extremely wide upper stopband," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 6, 2822-2827, 2018.
5. Huang, J. M., B. Zhang, and S. S. Li, "Novel compact quad-mode wideband bandpass filter with wide stopband using T-shaped resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 3, 326-333, 2014.
6. Li, S. and Z. Zhang, "Compact multi-order bandpass filter with high stopband rejection performance," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 12, 701-703, Jun. 13, 2019.
7. Tang, C., C. Tseng, S. Chiu, and P. Wu, "Design of wide passband/stopband microstrip bandpass filters with the stepped coupled line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1095-1103, Mar. 2013.
8. Kim, C. H. and K. Chang, "Independently controllable dual-band bandpass filters using asymmetric stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3037-3047, 2011.
9. Zhang, Z., Q. Yang, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Dual-wideband BPF with wide upper stopband using shorted stepped-impedance stub-loaded lowpass filter," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 19, 1615-1616, 2016.
10. Belyaev, B. A., A. M. Serzhantov, A. A. Leksikov, Y. F. Bal’va, and A. A. Leksikov, "Novel high-quality compact microstrip resonator and its application to bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 9, 579-581, Sep. 2015.
11. Ta, H. H. and A. Pham, "Compact wide stopband bandpass filter on multilayer organic substrate," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 3, 161-163, Mar. 2014.
12. Chen, J. X., et al., "Compact multi-layer bandpass filter with wide stopband using selective feeding scheme," IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems II Express Briefs, Vol. 65, No. 8, 1009-1013, 2018.
13. Wang, D., B. Wei, B. Cao, J. Chen, T. Zhen, and T. Gao, "A compact wide stopband HTS filter with ground surrounded quasi-interdigital structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 11, 703-705, Nov. 2015.
14. Lin, S., "New microstrip cascaded-quadruplet bandpass filter based on connected couplings and short-ended parallel-coupled line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2-4, Jan. 2014.
15. Xu, K., D. Li, and Y. Liu, "High-selectivity wideband bandpass filter using simple coupled lines with multiple transmission poles and zeros," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 29, No. 2, 107-109, Feb. 2019.
16. Killamsetty, V. K. and B. Mukherjee, "Miniaturised highly selective bandpass filter with very wide stopband using meander coupled lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 13, 889-890, 2017.
17. Gao, X., W. Feng, and W. Che, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with improved upper stopband using open/shorted stubs," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 2, 123-125, Feb. 2017.
18. Li, X., Q. Xia, and J. Zeng, "A compact quadruple-mode ultra-wideband bandpass filter with a broad upper stopband based on transversal-signal interaction concepts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 69, 119-125, 2017.
19. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and R. Li, Microwave Bandpass Filters for Wideband Communications, 45-46, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Press, 2012.
20. Jones, E. M. T., "Coupled-strip-transmission-line filters and directional couplers," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 4, No. 2, 75-81, 1956.