In this paper, a plasmonic sensor based on a metal-insulator-metal (MIM) waveguide with a slotted side-coupled elliptical cavity is proposed. The transmission characteristics of the cavity are analyzed theoretically, and the improvements of performance for the elliptical cavity structure compared to a single disk cavity are studied. The influence of structural parameters on the transmission spectra and sensing performances is investigated thoroughly. The achieved sensitivity for the first mode was S = 959 nm/RIU and S = 2380 nm/RIU for the second one. Its corresponding sensing resolution is 1.04 x 10-5RIU for mode 1 and 4.20 x 10-6RIU for mode 2, respectively, and high transmissions are achieved at the two resonant wavelengths of 898.8 nm and 1857.1 nm. The proposed plasmonic sensor is a good candidate for designing novel devices and applications, in the field of chemical and biological sensing, and also in the field of plasmonic filters, switches, etc.
2. Strobbia, P., E. R. Languirand, and B. M. Cullum, "Advances in plasmonic nanostructures for sensing: A review," Optical Engineering, Vol. 54, No. 10, 100902, 2015.
3. Aberasturi, D. J., A. B. Serrano-Montes, and L. M. Liz-Marzan, "Modern applications of plasmonic nanoparticles: From energy to health," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 3, No. 5, 602-617, May 2015.
4. Zarrabi, F. B. and M. N. Moghadasi, "Investigated the Fano resonance in the nano ring arrangement," Optik, Vol. 138, 80-86, 2017.
5. Giannini, V., A. I. Fernandez-Dominguez, S. C. Heck, and S. A. Maier, "Plasmonic nanoantennas: Fundamentals and their use in controlling the radiative properties of nano emitters," Chem. Rev., Vol. 111, 3888-3912, 2011.
6. Pandesh, S., M. Maleki, and F. B. Zarrabi, "The sub-wavelength plasmonic nano-antenna based on cross structure," Optik, Vol. 127, 3770-3774, 2016.
7. Zarrabi, F. B., M. Naser-Moghadasi, S. Heydari, M. Maleki, and A. S. Arezomand, "Crossslot nano-antenna with graphene coat for bio-sensing application," Optics Commun., Vol. 371, 34-39, 2016.
8. Barnes, W. L., A. Dereux, and T. W. Ebbesen, "Surface plasmon subwavelength optics," Nature, Vol. 424, 824-830, 2003.
9. Tang, B. J., J. C. Wang, X. S. Xia, X. Y. Liang, C. Song, and S. N. Qu, "Plasmonic induced transparency and unidirectional control based on the waveguide structure with quadrant ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Express, Vol. 8, No. 3, 032202, 2015.
10. Bana, X., X. Pang, X. Li, B. Hu, Y. Guo, and H. Zheng, "A nonlinear plasmonic waveguide based all-optical bidirectional switching," Opt. Commun., Vol. 406, 124-127, 2017.
11. Gramotnev, D. and S. Bozhevolnyi, "Plasmonics beyond the diffraction limit," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 4, No. 83, 2010.
12. Zayats, A., I. Smolyaninov, and A. Maradudin, "Nano-optics of surface plasmon polaritons," Physics Reports, Vol. 408, No. 3–4, 131-314, 2005.
13. Barnes, W., W. Murray, J. Dintinger, E. Devaux, and T. Ebbesen, "Surface plasmon polaritons and their role in the enhanced transmission of light through periodic arrays of subwavelength holes in a metal film," Physic Review Letters, Vol. 92, 107401, 2004.
14. Chen, Z., H. Li, B. Li, Z. He, H. Xu, M. Zheng, and M. Zhao, "Tunable ultra-wide band-stop filter based on single-stub plasmonic-waveguide system," Applied Physics Express, Vol. 9, No. 10, 102002, 2016.
15. Zhan, G., R. Liang, H. Liang, J. Luo, and R. Zhao, "Asymmetric band-pass plasmonic nanodisk filter with mode inhibition and spectrally splitting capabilities," Optics Express, Vol. 22, No. 8, 9912-9919, 2014.
16. Yang, C., W. Shen, J. Zhou, X. Fang, D. Zhao, X. Zhang, C. Ji, B. Fang, Y. Zhang, X. Liu, and L. Gu, Adv. Opt. Mater., Vol. 4, 1981, 2016.
17. Shi, L., J. He, C. Tan, Y. Liu, J. Hud, X. Wu, M. Chen, X. Zhang, and S. Zhan, "Plasmonic filter with highly selective wavelength in a fixed dimension based on the loaded rectangular ring cavity," Optics Communications, Vol. 439, 125-128, 2019.
18. Sun, W., Q. He, S. Sun, and L. Zhou, "High-efficiency surface plasmon meta-couplers: Concept and microwave-regime realizations," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 5, e16003, 2016.
19. Huang, Y., C. Min, and G. Veronis, "Compact slit-based couplers for metal-dielectric-metal plasmonic waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 20, 22233-22244, 2012.
20. Hoessbacher, C., Y. Fedoryshyn, A. Emboras, A. Melikyan, M. Kohl, D. Hillerkuss, C. Hafner, and J. Leuthold, "The plasmonic memristor: A latching optical switch," Optica, Vol. 1, No. 4, 198-202, 2014.
21. Raza, S. and S. Bozhevolnyi, "Slow-light plasmonic metamaterial based on dressed-state analog of electromagnetically induced transparency," Optics Letter, Vol. 40, No. 18, 4253-4256, 2015.
22. Huang, Y., C. Min, P. Dastmalchi, and G. Veronis, "Slow-light enhanced subwavelength plasmonic waveguide refractive index sensors," Optics Express, Vol. 23, No. 11, 23, 14922-14936, 2015.
23. Gao, Y., S. Zhan, Q. Liu, and Y. Liu, "Controllable plasmonic sensing based on Fano resonance in a cavity coupled defective MDM waveguide," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 49, 265109, 2016.
24. Im, H., H. Shao, Y. Park, V. Peterson, C. Castro, R. Weissleder, and H. Lee, "Label-free detection and molecular profiling of exosomes with a nano-plasmonic sensor," Nat. Biotechnol., Vol. 32, No. 5, 490, 2014.
25. Yu, S., S. Wang, T. Zhao, and J. Yu, "Tunable plasmonic system based on a slotted side-coupled disk resonator and its multiple applications on chip-scale devices," Optik — International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 212, 164748, 2020.
26. Ben Salah, H., A. Hocini, M. N. Temmar, and D. Khedrouche, "Design of mid infrared high sensitive metal-insulator-metal plasmonic sensor," Chinese Journal of Physics, Vol. 61, 86-97, 2019.
27. Zhang, Q., X. Huang, X. Lin, J. Tao, and X. Jin, "A subwavelength coupler-type MIM optical filter," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 16, 7549, 2009.
28. Wen, K., L. Yan, W. Pan, B. Luo, Z. Guo, Y. Guo, and X. Luo, "Electromagnetically induced transparency-like transmission in a compact side-coupled t-shaped resonator," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1071-1707, 2014.
29. Yu, S., T. Zhao, J. Yu, and D. Pan, "Tuning multiple fano resonances for on-chip sensors in a plasmonic system," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 7, 2019.
30. Zhang, Z., J. Yang, X. He, J. Zhang, J. Huang, D. Chen, and Y. Han, "Plasmonic refractive index sensor with high figure of merit based on concentric-rings resonator," Sensors, Vol. 18, 116, 2018.
31. Wang, M., M. Zhang, Y. Wang, R. Zhao, and S. Yan, "Fano resonance in an asymmetric MIM Waveguide structure and its application in a refractive index nanosensor," Sensors, Vol. 19, 791, 2019.
32. Hocini, A., H. Ben Salah, D. Khedrouche, and N. Melouk, "A high-sensitive sensor and band-stop filter based on intersected double ring resonators in metal-insulator-metal structure," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 52, 336, 2020.
33. Gai, H. F., J. Wang, and Q. Tian, "Modified debye model parameters of metals applicable for broadband calculations," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2229-2233, 2007.
34. Johnson, P. B., "Optical constants of the noble metals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 6, 4370-4379, 1972.
35. Zhang, X., M. Shao, and X. Zeng, "High quality plasmonic sensors based on fano resonance created through cascading double asymmetric cavities," Sensors, Vol. 16, 1730, 2016.
36. Wei, P. K., Y. C. Huang, C. C. chieng, F. G. Tseng, and W. Fann, "Off angle illumination induced surface plasmon coupling in subwavelength metallic slits," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 26, 10784-10794, 2005.
37. Zhang, Q., X. G. Huang, X. S. Lin, J. Tao, and X. P. Jin, "A subwave length coupler-type MIM optical flter," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 9, 7549-7555, 2009.
38. Rsoft Design Group, FullWAVE, Inc., , 200 Executive Blvd., Ossining, NY 10562.
39. Wu, T., Y. Liu, Z. Yu, Y. Peng, C. Shu, and H. He, "The sensing characteristics of plasmonic waveguide with a single defect," Optics Communications, Vol. 323, 44-48, 2014.
40. Zhang, Z. et al., "A plasmonic ellipse resonator possessing hybrid modes for ultracompact chipscale application," Phys. Scr., Vol. 94, 125511, 2019.
41. Dolatabady, A., et al., "A nanoscale refractive index sensor in two dimensional plasmonic waveguide with nanodisk resonato," Optics Communications, Vol. 300, 265-268, 2013.
42. Ghorbani, S., M. A. Dashti, and M. Jabbari, "Plasmonic nano-sensor based on metal dielectric-metal waveguide with the octagonal cavity ring," Laser Physics, Vol. 28, 066208, 2018.