Rigorous quantum formulation of the Parity-Time (PT) symmetry phenomenon in the RF/microwave regime for a pair of coupled coil resonators with lump elements has been presented. The coil resonator is described by the lump-element model that consists of an inductor (L), a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). Rigorous quantum Hamiltonian for the coupled LRC coil resonators system has been derived through twice basis transforms of the original basis. The first basis transform rotates the original basis such that off-diagonal terms of the governing matrix of the equation system of the coupled coil resonators is reduced to constants. Then a second basis transform obtains the quantum Hamiltonian, including the diagonal effective complex frequencies and off-diagonal coupling terms, together with the transformed basis. With the obtained quantum Hamiltonian, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the coupled coil resonators can be obtained as usual as the quantum Hamiltonian. Finally, numerical simulation verifies the correctness of the theory. The quantum formulation of the coupled coil resonators can provide better guideline to design a better PT-symmetric system.
2. Sakhdari, M., M. Hajizadegan, Y. Li, M. M. Cheng, J. C. H. Hung, and P. Chen, "Ultrasensitive, parity-time-symmetric wireless reactive and resistive sensors," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 23, 9548-9555, December 2018.
3. Assawaworrarit, S. and S. Fan, "Robust and efficient wireless power transfer using a switch-mode implementation of a nonlinear parity-time symmetric circuit," Nature Electronics, Vol. 3, 273-279, 2020.
4. Paul, K. and A. K. Sarma, "Fast and efficient wireless power transfer via transitionless quantum driving," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, Article number: 4134, March 2018.
5. Assawaworrarit, S., X. Yu, and S. Fan, "Robust wireless power transfer using a nonlinear parity-time-symmetric circuit," Nature, Vol. 546, No. 7658, 387-390, June 2017.
6. Gao, Z., S. T. M. Fryslie, B. J. Thompson, P. S. Carney, and K. D. Choquette, "Parity-time symmetry in coherently coupled vertical cavity laser arrays," Optica, Vol. 4, No. 3, 323-329, March 2017.
7. Wang, H., W. Kong, P. Zhang, Z. Li, and D. Zhong, "Coherent perfect absorption laser points in one-dimensional anti-parity-time-symmetric photonic crystals," Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 13, 2738, January 2019.
8. Phang, S., A. Vukovic, S. C. Creagh, P. D. Sewell, G. Gradoni, and T. M. Benson, "Localized single frequency lasing states in a finite parity-time symmetric resonator chain," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 20499, February 2016.
9. Cui, X., K. Ding, J.-W. Dong, and C. T. Chan, "Exceptional points and their coalescence of PT-symmetric interface states in photonic crystals," Physical Review B, Vol. 100, No. 11, 115412, September 2019.
10. Liu, Y., T. Hao, W. Li, J. Capmany, N. Zhu, and M. Li, "Observation of parity-time symmetry in microwave photonics," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-9, July 2018.
11. Bender, C. M. and S. Boettcher, "Real spectra in non-hermitian hamiltonians having PT symmetry," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 80, No. 24, 5243-5246, June 1998.
12. Ozdemir, S. K., S. Rotter, F. Nori, and L. Yang, "Parity-time symmetry and exceptional points in photonics," Nature Materials, Vol. 18, 783-798, 2019.
13. Liao, S., T. Wong, and L. Ou, "Optimal feedback-interferometric fiber laser microphones," Optics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 2, 423-426, Optical Society of America, January 2020.
14. Liao, S., "Optimal feedback-interferometric fiber laser sensors," 2019 Photonics & Electromagnetics Research Symposium —Fall (PIERS — Fall), Xiamen, China, December 17–20, 2019.
15. Liao, S. and T. Wong, "Optimal design of feedback-interferometric fiber laser sensors," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 24, 12016-12023, December 2019.
16. Peng, Y. and S. Liao, "ZIM laser: Zero-index-materials laser," IEEE Journal on Multiscale and Multiphysics Computational Techniques, Vol. 4, 133-142, 2019.
17. Liao, S. and L. Ou, "High-Q interstitial square coupled microring resonators arrays," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1-8, August 2020.
18. Liao, S., T. Wong, Z. Wang, R. Wang, E. Clutter, and H.-T. Chien, "Miniature fiber laser microphones with graphene diaphragms," 2018 IEEE Research and Applications of Photonics In Defense Conference (RAPID), 1-4, August 2018.
19. Peng, Y. and S. Liao, "On-chip ZIM-BiC laser," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-4, May 2019.
20. Zeng, Y., Z. Tang, S. Liao, and Y. Peng, "Integrated photonics devices using zeroindex metamaterials," 2019 Photonics & Electromagnetics Research Symposium —Fall (PIERS — Fall), 1458-1460, December 2019.
21. El-Ganainy, R., K. G. Makris, D. N. Christodoulides, and Z. H. Musslimani, "Theory of coupled optical PT-symmetric structures," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 17, 2632-2634, September 2007.
22. Makris, K. G., R. El-Ganainy, D. N. Christodoulides, and Z. H. Musslimani, "Beam dynamics in PT symmetric optical lattices," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, No. 10, 103904, March 2008.
23. Musslimani, Z. H., K. G. Makris, R. El-Ganainy, and D. N. Christodoulides, "Optical solitons in PT periodic potentials," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, No. 3, 030402, January 2008.
24. Ruschhaupt, A., F. Delgado, and J. G. Muga, "Physical realization of PT-symmetric potential scattering in a planar slab waveguide," Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, Vol. 38, No. 9, L171-L176, February 2005.
25. Klaiman, S., U. Gunther, and N. Moiseyev, "Visualization of Branch Points in PT-symmetric waveguides," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 101, No. 8, 080402, August 2008.
26. Longhi, S., "Time reversal of a discrete system coupled to a continuum based on non-Hermitian IP," Science Bulletin, Vol. 62, No. 12, 869-874, June 2017.
27. Rodrıguez-Lara, B. M., R. El-Ganainy, and J. Guerrero, "Symmetry in optics and photonics: A group theory approach," Science Bulletin, Vol. 63, No. 4, 244-251, February 2018.
28. Hodaei, H., M.-A. Miri, M. Heinrich, D. N. Christodoulides, and M. Khajavikhan, "Parity-time-symmetric microring lasers," Science, Vol. 346, No. 6212, 975-978, November 2014.
29. Savoia, S., G. Castaldi, V. Galdi, A. Alu, and N. Engheta, "PT symmetry-induced wave confinement and guiding in ε-near-zero metamaterials," Physical Review B, Vol. 91, No. 11, 115114, March 2015.
30. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "On the image approximation for electromagnetic wave propagation and PEC scattering in cylindrical harmonics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 65-88, 2006.
31. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "The near-field and far-field properties of the cylindrical modal expansions with application in the image theorem," 2006 Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Teraherz Electronics, 260-260, September 2006.
32. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "A new fast algorithm for calculating near-field propagation between arbitrary smooth surfaces," 2005 Joint 30th International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 13th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, Vol. 2, 606-607, September 2005.
33. Liao, S., H. Soekmadji, and R. J. Vernon, "On fast computation of electromagnetic wave propagation through FFT," 2006 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation EM Theory, 1-4, October 2006.
34. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "The cylindrical Taylor-interpolation FFT algorithm," 2006 Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Teraherz Electronics, 259-259, September 2006.
35. Liao, S., "Beam-shaping PEC mirror phase corrector design," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 4, 392-396, 2007.
36. Liao, S., "Fast computation of electromagnetic wave propagation and scattering for quasicylindrical geometry," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 1, 96-100, 2007.
37. Liao, S., "On the validity of physical optics for narrow-band beam scattering and diffraction from the open cylindrical surface," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 2, 158-162, 2007.
38. Liao, S., R. J. Vernon, and J. Neilson, "A high-efficiency four-frequency mode converter design with small output angle variation for a step-tunable gyrotron," 2008 33rd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, 1-2, September 2008.
39. Liao, S., R. J. Vernon, and J. Neilson, "A four-frequency mode converter with small output angle variation for a step-tunable gyrotron," Electron Cyclotron Emission and Electron Cyclotron Resonance Heating (EC-15), 477-482, World Scientific, April 2009.
40. Vernon, R. J., "High-power microwave transmission and mode conversion program," Technical Report DOEUW52122, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (United States), August 2015.
41. Liao, S., Multi-frequency beam-shaping mirror system design for high-power gyrotrons: Theory, algorithms and methods, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin at Madison, USA, 2008.
42. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "A fast algorithm for wave propagation from a plane or a cylindrical surface," 490, Vol. 28, No. 6, 479, June 2007.
43. Liao, S.-L. and R. J. Vernon, "Sub-THz beam-shaping mirror system designs for quasi-optical mode converters in high-power gyrotrons," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 425-439, Taylor & Francis, January 2007.
44. Liao, S., "Miter bend mirror design for corrugated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 10, 157-162, EMW Publishing, 2009.
45. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "A fast algorithm for computation of electromagnetic wave propagation in half-space," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2068-2075, July 2009.
46. Liao, S., N. Gopalsami, A. Venugopal, A. Heifetz, and A. C. Raptis, "An efficient iterative algorithm for computation of scattering from dielectric objects," Optics Express, Vol. 19, No. 4, 3304-3315, Optical Society of America, February 2011.
47. Liao, S., "Spectral-domain MOM for planar meta-materials of arbitrary aperture waveguide array," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-4, May 2019.
48. Schindler, J., A. Li, M. C. Zheng, F. M. Ellis, and T. Kottos, "Experimental study of active LRC circuits with PT-symmetries," Physical Review A, Vol. 84, No. 4, 040101, October 2011.
49. Schindler, J., Z. Lin, J. M. Lee, H. Ramezani, F. M. Ellis, and T. Kottos, "PT-symmetric electronics," Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, Vol. 45, No. 44, 444029, October 2012.
50. Ra'di, Y., D. L. Sounas, A. Alu, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Parity-time-symmetric teleportation," Physical Review B, Vol. 93, No. 23, 235427, June 2016.
51. Chen, P.-Y., M. Sakhdari, M. Hajizadegan, Q. Cui, M. M.-C. Cheng, R. El-Ganainy, and A. Alu, "Generalized parity-time symmetry condition for enhanced sensor telemetry," Nature Electronics, Vol. 1, No. 5, 297-304, May 2018.
52. Zhu, L., N. Alkhaldi, H. M. Kadry, S. Liao, and P.-Y. Chen, "A compact hybrid-fed microstrip antenna for harmonics-based radar and sensor systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 12, 2444-2448, December.