Nonlinear photonic sources including semiconductor lasers have been recently utilized as ideal computation elements for information processing. They supply energy-efficient way and rich dynamics for classification and recognition tasks. In this work, we propose and numerically study the dynamics of complex photonic systems including high-β laser element with delayed feedback and functional current modulation, and employ nonlinear laser dynamics of near-threshold region for the application in reservoir computing. The results indicate a perfect (100%) recognition accuracy for the pattern recognition task and an accuracy about 98% for the Mackey-Glass chaotic sequences prediction. Therefore, the system shows an improvement of performance with low-power consumption. In particular, the error rate is an order of magnitude smaller than previous works. Furthermore, by changing the DC pump, we are able to modify the number of spontaneous emission photons of the system, which then allows us to explore how the laser noise impacts the performance of the reservoir computing system. Through manipulating these variables, we show a deeper understanding on the proposed system, which is helpful for the practical applications of reservoir computing.
2. Jia, Y., C. Qian, Z. Fan, T. Cai, E. Li, and H. Chen, "A knowledge-inherited learning for intelligent metasurface design and assembly," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 12, 82, 2023.
3. Zhang, J., C. Qian, J. Chen, B. Wu, and H. Chen, "Uncertainty qualification for metasurface design with amendatory Bayesian network," Laser & Photonics Reviews, 2200807, 2023.
4. Maass, W., T. Natschlager, and H. Markram, "Real-time computing without stable states: A new framework for neural computation based on perturbations," Neural Comput., Vol. 14, No. 11, 2531-2560, 2002.
5. Jaeger, H. and H. Haas, "Harnessing nonlinearity: Predicting chaotic systems and saving energy in wireless communication," Science, Vol. 304, No. 5667, 78-80, 2004.
6. Der Sande, G. V., D. Brunner, and M. C. Soriano, "Advances in photonic reservoir computing," Nanophotonics, Vol. 6, No. 3, 561-576, 2017.
7. Guo, X. X., S. Y. Xiang, Y. H. Zhang, L. Lin, A. J. Wen, and Y. Hao, "Four-channels reservoir computing based on polarization dynamics in mutually coupled VCSELs system," Opt. Express, Vol. 27, No. 16, 23293-23306, 2019.
8. Vandoorne, K., J. Dambre, D. Verstraeten, B. Schrauwen, and P. Bienstman, "Parallel reservoir computing using optical amplifiers," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 22, No. 9, 1469-1481, 2011.
9. Takano, K., C. Sugano, M. Inubushi, K. Yoshimura, S. Sunada, K. Kanno, and A. Uchida, "Compact reservoir computing with a photonic integrated circuit," Opt. Express, Vol. 26, No. 22, 29424-29439, 2018.
10. Vatin, J., D. Rontani, and M. Sciamanna, "Enhanced performance of a reservoir computer using polarization dynamics in VCSELs," Opt. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 18, 4497-4500, 2018.
11. Appeltant, L., M. C. Soriano, G. van der Sande, J. Danckaert, S. Massar, J. Dambre, B. Schrauwen, C. R. Mirasso, and I. Fischer, "Information processing using a single dynamical node as complex system," Nature Commun., Vol. 2, 468, 2011.
12. Brunner, D., M. C. Soriano, C. R. Mirasso, and I. Fischer, "Parallel photonic information processing at gigabyte per second data rates using transient states," Nature Commun., Vol. 4, 1364, 2013.
13. Ortin, S. and L. Pesquera, "Reservoir computing with an ensemble of time-delay reservoirs," Cogn. Comput., Vol. 9, No. 3, 327-336, 2017.
14. Goldmann, M., F. Koster, K. Ludge, and S. Yanchuk, "Deep time-delay reservoir computing: Dynamics and memory capacity," Chaos, Vol. 30, 093124, 2020.
15. Stelzer, F., A. Rohm, K. Ludge, and S. Yanchuk, "Performance boost of time-delay reservoir computing by non-resonant clock cycle," Neural Networks, Vol. 124, 158-169, 2020.
16. Vatin, J., D. Rontani, and M. Sciamanna, "Experimental reservoir computing using VCSEL polarization dynamics," Opt. Express, Vol. 27, 18579-18584, 2019.
17. Soriano, M. C., S. Ortin, L. Keuninckx, L. Appeltant, J. Danckaert, L. Pesquera, and G. van der Sande, "Delay-based reservoir computing: Noise effects in a combined analog and digital implementation," IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. Learn. Syst., Vol. 26, No. 2, 388-393, 2015.
18. Larger, L., M. C. Soriano, D. Brunner, L. Appeltant, J. M. Gutierrez, L. Pesquera, C. R. Mirasso, and I. Fischer, "Photonic information processing beyond turing: An optoelectronic implementation of reservoir computing," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 3, 3241-3249, 2012.
19. Hulser, T., F. Koster, K. Ludge, and L. Jaurigue, "Deriving task specific performance from the information processing capacity of a reservoir computer," Nanophotonics, Vol. 12, 937-947, 2023.
20. Chen, Y., L. Yi, J. Ke, Z. Yang, Y. Yang, L. Huang, Q. Zhuge, and W. Hu, "Reservoir computing system with double optoelectronic feedback loops," Opt. Express, Vol. 27, No. 20, 27431-27440, 2019.
21. Li, Z., S. S. Li, X. Zou, W. Pan, and L. Yan, "Processing-speed enhancement in a delay-laser-based reservoir," Photonics, Vol. 9, 240, 2022.
22. Chemboa, Y. K., "Machine learning based on reservoir computing with time-delayed optoelectronic and photonic systems," Chaos, Vol. 30, 013111, 2020.
23. Ashner, M. N., U. Paudel, M. Luengo-Kovac, J. Pilawa, T. Justin Shaw, and G. C. Valley, "Photonic reservoir computer with all-optical reservoir," Proc. SPIE, AI and Optical Data Sciences II, 117030L, 2021.
24. Skontranis, M., G. Sarantoglou, A. Bogris, and C. Mesaritakis, "Time-delayed reservoir computing based on a dual-waveband quantum-dot spin polarized vertical cavity surface-emitting laser," Optical Materials Express, Vol. 12, 4047-4060, 2022.
25. Chen, P., R. Liu, K. Aihara, and L. Chen, "Autoreservoir computing for multistep ahead prediction based on the spatiotemporal information transformation," Nature Commun., Vol. 11, 4568, 2020.
26. Xu, Y., M. Zhang, L. Zhang, P. Lu, S. Mihailov, and X. Bao, "Time-delay signature suppression in a chaotic semiconductor laser by fiber random grating induced random distributed feedback," Opt. Lett., Vol. 42, 4107-4110, 2017.
27. Zhang, L., B. Pan, G. Chen, L. Guo, D. Lu, L. Zhao, and W. Wang, "640-Gbit/s fast physical random number generation using a broadband chaotic semiconductor laser," Sci. Rep., Vol. 7, 45900, 2017.
28. Estebanez, I., J. Schwind, I. Fischer, and A. Argyris, "Accelerating photonic computing by bandwidth enhancement of a time-delay reservoir," Nanophotonics, Vol. 9, No. 13, 4163-4171, 2020.
29. Wang, T., X. Wang, Z. Deng, J. Sun, G. P. Puccioni, G. Wang, and G. L. Lippi, "Dynamics of a micro-VCSEL operated in the threshold region under low-level optical feedback," IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron., Vol. 25, 1700308, 2019.
30. Wang, T. and G. L. Lippi, "Polarization-resolved cartography of light emission of a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser with high space and frequency resolution," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 107, 181103, 2015.
31. Torre, M. S., C. Masoller, P. Mandel, and K. A. Shore, "Enhanced sensitivity to current modulation near dynamic instability in semiconductor lasers with optical feedback and optical injection," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 21, 302-306, 2004.
32. Nazhan, S., Z. Ghassemlooy, K. Busawon, and A. Gholami, "Investigation of polarization switching of VCSEL subject to intensity modulated and optical feedback," Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 75, 240-245, 2015.
33. Deng, H., G. L. Lippi, J. Mork, J. Wiersig, and S. Reitzenstein, "Physics and applications of high-β micro- and nanolasers," Adv. Optical Mater., Vol. 9, 2100415, 2021.
34. Javanshir, A., T. T. Nguyen, M. A. Parvez Mahmud, and A. Z. Kouzani, "Advancements in algorithms and neuromorphic hardware for spiking neural networks," Neural Comput., Vol. 34, No. 6, 1289-1328, 2022.
35. Wang, T., G. P. Puccioni, and G. L. Lippi, "Dynamical buildup of lasing in mesoscale devices," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 15858, 2015.
36. Wang, T., C. Jiang, J. Zou, J. Yang, K. Xu, C. Jin, G. Wang, G. P. Puccioni, and G. L. Lippi, "Nanolasers with feedback as low-coherence illumination sources for speckle-free imaging: A numerical analysis of the superthermal emission regime," Nanomaterials, Vol. 11, 3325, 2021.
37. Brunner, D., L. Larger, and M. C. Soriano, "Nonlinear photonic dynamical systems for unconventional computing," Nonlinear Theory and Its Applications, IEICE, Vol. 13, 26-35, 2022.
38. Puccioni, G. P. and G. L. Lippi, "Stochastic Simulator for modeling the transition to lasing," Opt. Express, Vol. 23, No. 3, 2369-2374, 2015.
39. Lippi, G. L., T. Wang, and G. P. Puccioni, "`Phase transitions' in small systems: Why standard threshold definitions fail for nanolasers," Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, Vol. 157, 111850, 2022.
40. Rice, P. R. and H. J. Carmichael, "Photon statistics of a cavity-QED laser: A comment on the laser-phase-transition analogy," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 50, 4318, 1994.
41. Guo, X. X., S. Y. Xiang, Y. H. Zhang, L. Lin, A. J. Wen, and Y. Hao, "High-speed neuromorphic reservoir computing based on a semiconductor nanolaser with optical feedback under electrical modulation," IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron., Vol. 26, 1500707, 2020.
42. Brunner, D., M. C. Soriano, C. R. Mirasso, and I. Fischer, "Parallel photonic information processing at gigabyte per second data rates using transient states," Nature Commun., Vol. 4, 1364, 2013.
43. Yue, D., Z. Wu, Y. Hou, B. Cui, Y. Jin, M. Dai, and G. Xia, "Performance optimization research of reservoir computing system based on an optical feedback semiconductor laser under electrical information injection," Opt. Exp., Vol. 27, No. 14, 19931-19939, 2019.
44. Yue, D., Y. Hou, Z. Wu, C. Hu, Z. Xiao, and G. Xia, "Experimental investigation of an optical reservoir computing system based on two parallel time-delay reservoirs," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 13, No. 3, 8500111, 2021.
45. Koster, F., S. Yanchuk, and K. Ludge, "Insight into delay based reservoir computing via eigenvalue analysis," J. Phys. Photonics, Vol. 3, 024011, 2021.
46. Hulser, T., F. Koster, L. Jaurigue, and K. Ludge, "Role of delay-times in delay-based photonic reservoir computing," Opt. Mater. Express, Vol. 12, 1214-1231, 2022.
47. Sugano, C., K. Kanno, and A. Uchida, "Reservoir computing using multiple lasers with feedback on a photonic integrated circuit," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quantum Electron., Vol. 26, No. 1, 1-9, 2020.
48. Taylor, J., "Introduction to Error Analysis. The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements," University Science Books, 349 (cit. on p. 84), 1997.