Analysis of a frequency agile broadband E-shaped patch antenna (ESPA) symmetrically loaded with tunnel diodes is presented in this paper. The notch parameters such as notch-length, notch-width and position are optimized to achieve the optimum broadband operation of ESPA. Under the optimum conditions of ESPA (bandwidth 32.35%), the performance of the antenna is also analyzed as a function of bias voltage of tunnel diode. It may be mentioned that the proposed antenna can be operated in tunable band that varies from 1055 MHz (bandwidth 42.54%) to 1324 MHz (bandwidth 49.77%) with the bias voltage. Further, the radiated power of the proposed antenna is enhanced by 5.67 dB as compared to the E-shaped patch antenna.
2. Liu, Z. F., P. S. Kooi, L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A method for designing broad band microstrip antennas in multilayered planar structures," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 47, No. 9, 1416-1420, 1999.
3. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single layer single patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, 1995.
4. Yang, F., X. X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wideband E-shaped patch antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, 2001.
5. Bzeih, A., S. A. Chahine, K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, and A. Chehab, Empirical formulation and design of a broadband enhanced E-patch antenna, 24th National Radio Science Conference-2007, B-9, 1-9, Ain Shams University, Egypt, 2007.
6. Ang, B. K. and B. K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5-6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
7. Ansari, J. A., R. B. Ram, S. K. Dubey, and P. Singh, "A frequency agile stacked annular ring microstrip antenna using a Gunn diode," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 16, 2040-2045, 2007.
8. Srivastava, S., B. R. Vishvakarma, and J. A. Ansari, "Tunnel diode loaded rectangular microstrip antenna for millimeter range," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 750-755, 2003.
9. Woo, W. F. and F. Chow, Principles of Tunnel Diodes Circuits, Wiely, New York, 1964.
10. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartiya, Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1982.
11. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
12. Zhang, X. X. and F. Yang, "The study of a slit cut on a microstrip antenna and its applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 297-300, 1998.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 1997.
14. Terman, F. E., Electronic and Radio Engineering, Kogakusha, Tokyo, 1955.
15. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-23, 1981.
16. Young, L. L., Advances in Microwaves Academic, Vol. 2, 1-21, 1967.
17. Watson, A. A., Micowave Semiconductor Devices and Their Circuit Applications, Mc Graw-Hills, New Delhi, 1969.