Dual-polarized antenna is widely used in communication systems such as ECM and DF systems. In this paper a novel doubleridged horn antenna with dual polarizations is introduced for frequency range of 8-18 GHz. Common double ridged horn antennas have single polarization over the operating frequency. We have used five layers polarizer to provide dual polarizations performance of the double-ridged horn antenna. In order to achieve dual polarizations the strips width, strips spacing and layers distances are optimized. It is worth mentioning that the corresponding VSWR of the antenna during the optimization process should be maintain below a certain value (VSWR<2). Simulation results show that the proposed antenna yields dual polarizations performance and low VSWR over the operating frequency. We have used CST software for antenna simulation which is based on the finite integral technique.
2. Hizal, A. and U. Kazak, A broadband coaxial ridged horn antenna, Proc. 19th Eur. Microwave Conf., 247-252, Turnbridge Wells, U.K., 1989.
3. Dubrovka, F. F., G. A. Yena, P. Y. Stepanenko, and V. M. Tereschenko, Ultra wideband double ridged horn with rectangular aperture, International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques, 590-593, Seuastopol, Ukraine, 2003.
4. Barrow, W. L. and L. J. Chu, "Theory of the electromagnetic horn," Proc. IRE, Vol. 27, 51-64, 1939.
5. Kerr, J. L., "Short axial length broad-band horns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 21, 710-714, 1973.
6. Cohn, S. B., "Properties of ridged waveguide," Proc. IRE, Vol. 35, 783-788, 1947.
7. Hopfer, S., "The design of ridged waveguides," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 3, 20-29, 1955.
8. Jarvis, D. A. and T. C. Rao, "Design of double-ridged rectangular wave guide of arbitrary aspect ratio and ridge height," Microw. Antenna Propagat., IEE Proc., Vol. 147, 31-34, 2000.
9. Botello-Perez, M., H. Jardon-Aguilar, and I. Ruiz, Design and simulation of a 1 to 14 GHz broadband electromagnetic compatibility DRGH antenna, ICEEE-ICE 2005, 2nd Internationa Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 118-121, 2005.
10. Bruns, C., P. Euchtmann, and R. Vahldieck, "Analysis and simulation of a 1-18 GHz broadband double-ridged horn antenna," IEEE Transaction on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, 55-59, 2003.
11. Rodriguez, V., "New broadband EMC double-ridged guide horn antenna," R. F. Des., 44-47, 2004.
12. Shen, Z. and C. Feng, "A new dual-polarized broadband horn antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 270-273, 2005.
13. Azimi, M. A., F. Arazm, J. R. Mohassel, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Design and optimization of a new 1-18 GHz double ridged guide horn antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 501-506, 2007.
14. Walton, K. L. and V. C. Sundberg, "Broadband ridged horn design," Microwave J., 96-101, 1964.
15. Muenzer, P. J., "Broadbanding coax-to-ridged-waveguide transitions," Microwaves, 92-97, 1964.
16. Mitay, N. and A. A. M. Saleh, "Broad-band wide-angle quasi optical polarization rotators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 1, 1983.