This paper outlines the trend of signal generation in synthetic aperture radar particularly chirp (linear FM signal) generation using digital approach. A study in fundamental of FM signal and typical analog FM signal generation is highlighted. Various signal generation in SAR using digital techniques is discussed and finally the some of the digital chirp generators are presented.
2. Curlander, J. C. and R. N. McDounough, Synthetic Aperture Radar, Systems and Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991.
3. Wiley, C. A., Pulse doppler radar methods and apparatus, United States Patent, No. 3,196,436, 1965.
4. Storvold, R., E. Malnes, Y. Larsen, K. A. Hogda, S.-E. Hamran, K. Mueller, and K. Langley, "SAR remote sensing of snow parameters in Norwegian areas --- Current status and future perspective," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1751-1759, 2006.
5. Lynne, G. L. and G. R. Taylor, "Geological assessment of SIR-B imagery of the Amadeus basin," IEEE Trans. on Geosc. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 24, No. 4, 575-581, 1986.
6. Hovland, H. A., J. A. Johannessen, and G. Digranes, Slick detection in SAR images, Proceeding of the 1994 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2038-2040, 1994.
7. Kong, J. A., S. H. Yueh, H. H. Lim, R. T. Shin, and J. J. van Zyl, "Classification of Earth terrain using polarimetric synthetic aperture radar images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 3, 327-370, 1990.
8. Goodman, J. M., Space Weather & Telecommunications, Springer, 2005.
9. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, London, 2005.
10. Webster, J. M., The development of a radar digital unit for the SASAR II project, Master Thesis, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa, 2004.
11. Adler, E. D., E. A. Viveiros, T. Ton, J. L. Kurtz, and M. C. Bartlett, Direct digital synthesis applications for radar development, Radar Conference 1995, No. 8-11, 224-226, 1995.
12. Hector, C., J. Brunt, and J. Arnold, T/R module MMIC components for spaceborne SAR, IEE Colloquium on Active and Passive Components for Phased Array Systems, 12/1-12/7, 1992.
13. Smith, R. L. and D. V. Arnold, Development of a low cost, FM/CW transmitter for remote sensing, Proceedings IEEE 2000 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 5, 2328-2330, 2000.
14. Waite, J. L. and D. V. Arnold, Interferometric radar principles in trackhazard detection to improve safety, Proc. IGARSS’00, Vol. 6, 2507-2509, Honolulu, 2000.
15. Zaugg, D. A., D. V. Arnold, and M. A. Jensen, Ocean surface and landslide probing with a scanning radar altimeter, Proceedings IEEE 2000 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 1, 120-122, 2000.
16. Held, D. N., W. E. Brown, A. Freeman, J. D. Klein, H. Zebker, T. Sato, T. Miller, Q. Nguyen, and Y. L. Lou, The NASA/JPL multifrequency, multipolarisation airborne SAR system, Proceeding of the 1988 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 345-349, 1988.
17. Way, J. and E. A. Smith, "The evolution of synthetic aperture radar systems and their progression to the EOS SAR," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 29, No. 6, 962-985, 1991.
18. Coetzer, D. G., Design and implementation of a X-band transmitter and frequency distribution unit for a synthetic aperture radar, Master Thesis, 2004.
19. Livingstone, C. E., A. L. Gray, R. K. Hawkins, and R. B. Olsen, "CCRS C/X-airborne synthetic aperture radar: An R&D tool for the ERS-1 time frame," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 3, 11-20, 1988.
20. Nemoto, Y., H. Nishino, M. Ono, H. Mizutamari, K. Nishikawa, and K. Tanaka, "Japanese earth resources satellite-1 synthetic aperture radar," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 6, 800-809, 1991.
21. Jordan, R. L., B. L. Huneycutt, and M. Werner, "The SIR-C/X-SAR synthetic aperture radar system," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, No. 4, 829-839, 1995.
22. Thompson, D. G., D. V. Arnold, and D. G. Long, YSAR: A compact, low-cost synthetic aperture radar, Proceeding of the 1996 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1892-1894, 1996.
23. Thompson, D. G., D. V. Arnold, D. G. Long, G. F. Miner, and M. A. Jensen, YINSAR: A compact, low-cost interferometric synthetic aperture radar, Proceeding of International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1920-1922, 1998.
24. Zaugg, E. C., D. L. Hudson, and D. G. Long, The BYU microSAR: A small, student-built SAR for UAV operation, Proceedings of the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2006.