A novel broadband design of a printed dipole antenna using PBG (photonic band-gap) structures is proposed and studied in the electromagnetic scattering. The high surface impedance and a frequency gap are used to reduce RCS (radar cross section) across needed frequency range (3.7-4.5 GHz). Because the high surface impedance restrains the surface waves, the obtained results show that RCSis reduced by 15 dB at resonance frequency and radiation characteristics of the antenna at operating frequencies are improved. The method of RCSreduction is suggested, and experimental results are presented.
2. Liao, S. and R. J. Vernon, "On the image approximation for electromagnetic wave propagation and PEC scattering in cylindrical harmonics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 65-88, 2006.
3. Li, Z. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "PBG, PMC and PEC ground plane: A case study of dipole antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE, Vol. 2, 674-677, 2000.
4. Seo, J. and B. Lee, "Performance enhancement of antennas using PBG structures," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE, Vol. 4, 859-862, 2003.
5. Guida, G., A. de Lustrac, and A. Priou, "An introduction to photonic band gap (pbg) materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 1-20, 2003.
6. Zheng, L. G. and W. X. Zhang, "Study on bandwidth of 2-D dielectric pbg material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 83-106, 2003.
7. Tarot, A.-C., S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Numerical studies of metallic pbg structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 133-157, 2003.
8. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. Jimenez Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surface with a forbidden frequency band," Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2059-2074, 1999.
9. Liu, W.-N., J.-K. Xiao, S. Zhang, and Y. Li, "A novel PBG planar inverted-F antenna for wearable system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 615-622, 2006.
10. Jaisson, D., "Fast design of a printed dipole antenna with an integrated balan," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 4, 2006.
11. Radisic, V. and Y. Qian, "Novel 2-D photonic bandgap structure for microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 2, 69-71, 1998.
12. Engheta, N., W. D. Murphy, V. Rokhlin, and M. S.Vassilious, "The fast multipole method (FMM) for electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1992.
13. Wan, J. X. and C.-H. Liang, "A fast analysis of scattering from microstrip antennas over a wide band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 187-208, 2005.
14. Mallahzadeh, A. R., M. Soleimani, and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Scattering computation from the target with lossy background," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 151-163, 2006.
15. Wang, S., X. Guan, D.Wang, X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Electromagnetic scattering by mixed conducting/dielectric objects using higher-order MOM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 51-63, 2006.
16. Keller, J. B., "Geometrical theory of diffraction," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 52, 116-130, 1962.