Anew multimodal variational formulation (NVMF) analysis is used for a rigorous analysis of four microwave subsystems with multiple discontinuities: one double-step and one quadruplestep empty-ridged waveguide discontinuity, one iris-coupled cavities filter with four resonators and one impedance transformer. The sparameters of each structure are deduced from its total impedance matrix, without cascading the S-parameters of individual discontinuities as with the most methods based on mode-matching technique; the convergence study versus the accessible modes is no long necessary, which makes this passive microwave circuit's analysis and design tool very efficient.
2. Lotz, R., J. Ritter, and F. Arndt, 3D subgrid technique for the finite difference method in frequency domain, IEEE-MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, 1275-1278, Baltimore, MD, 1998.
3. Schmidt, R. and P. Russer, "Modeling of cascaded coplanar waveguide discontinuities by mode-matching approach," IEEE Trans.-MTT, Vol. 43, 2910-2917, 1995.
4. Arndt, F., et al., "Modal S-matrix method for optimum design of inductively direct-coupled cavity filters," IEEE Proceeding, Vol. 133, No. 5, 1986.
5. Soler, F. J. P., F. D. Q. Pereira, J. P. Garcia, D. C. Rebenaque, and A. A. Melcon, "Analysis of inductive waveguide microwave components using alternative port treatment and efficicient fast multipole," Progress In Elecromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 71-90, 2007.
6. Tao, J. W. and H. Baudrand, "Multimodal variational analysis of uniaxial waveguide discontinuities," IEEE Trans.-MTT, Vol. 39, 506-516, 1991.
7. Nanan, J. C., J. W. Tao, H. Baudrand, B. Theron, and S. Vigneron, "At wo-step synthesis of broadband rigged bandpass filters with improved performances," IEEE Trans.-MTT, Vol. 39, 2192-2197, 1991.
8. Lilonga-Boyenga, D., J. Tao, and T. H. Vuong, A new multimodal variational analysis of uniaxial discontinuities in microwaves devices, Proceeding Mediterranean Microwave Symposium MMS’2004, 112-114, Marseille, 2004.
9. Couffignal, P., H. Baudrand, and B. Theron, "A new rigorous method for determination of iris dimensions in dual-mode cavity filters," IEEE Trans.-MTT, Vol. 42, 1314-1320, 1994.
10. Lilonga-Boyenga, D., J. Tao, and T. H. Vuong, "Uniaxial discontinuities by a new multimodal variational method --- Application to filter design," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 1, 77-82, 2007.
11. Vuong, T. P., Contribution a l'etude des discontinuites dans les guides metalliques creux --- Applications aux antennes et filtres, These de doctorat INP Toulouse, 1999.
12. Ilie, M. M., A. Z. Ilie, and B. M. Notaros, "Higher order large-domain FEM modeling of 3-D multiport waveguide structures with arbitrary discontinuities," IEEE Trans.-MTT, Vol. 52, 1608-1614, 2004.
13. Arndt, F., J. Bornemann, D. Heckmann, C. Pionek, H. Sommerow, and H. Schueler, "Modal S-matrix method for optimum design of inductively direct-coupled cavity filters," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 133, Pt. H, No. 5, 341-350, 1986.
14. Arndt, F., et al., Optimized-oriented design of rectangular and circular waveguide components with the use of efficient mode-matching simulators in commercial circuit CAD tools (invited article), 37-50, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1997.