In this paper, novel compact broadband dual frequency microstrip antennas are presented and broad-band impedance matching is proposed as a method for improve the matching level of antennas. The first proposed design consists of a rectangular microstrip antenna with a pair of parallel slots loaded close to the radiating edge of the patch and three meandering narrow slots embedded in the antenna surface. The second proposed design consists of a rectangular microstrip antenna with a meandering slits. With the first proposed design a size reduction of 34% and 45% for the two resonant frequencies is obtained respectively. The two frequencies have an operation frequency ratio of 1.30 and 1.25. The theoretical design implementation of compensated compact rectangular microstrip antennas with new configuration Pi-matching networks was presented. A new compensation network consisting of RC Mutator circuit and discrete capacitors are employed at the input of the microstrip antenna operating at 1.5 GHz and 2.5 GHz. The performance parameters of the designed microstrip antenna with and without compensation network were compared. The results show that compensation network can improve the return loss level and the resonant frequency can be controlled in a wide RF band.
2. Tang, C. L., H. T. Chen, and K. L. Wong, "Small circular microstrip antenna with dual frequency operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 1112-1113, 1997.
3. Kuo, J. S. and K. L. Wong, "A compact microstrip antenna with meandering slots in the ground plane," Microwave Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 29, 95-97, 2001.
4. Zhao, G., F.-S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z.-B. Weng, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007.
5. Liu, W. C. and Y. T. Kao, "CPW-FED compact meandered strip antenna on a soft substrate for dualband WLAN communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, 987-995, 2007.
6. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006.
7. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Compact and broadband microstrip patch antenna for the 3g IMT-2000 handsets applying styrofoam and shorting-posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 75-85, 2004.
8. Elsadek, H. and D. Nashaat, "Quad band compact size trapezoidal PIFA antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 865-876, 2007.
9. Mingo, J., A. Valdovinos, A. Crepo, and P. Garcia, "An RF electronically controlled impedance tuning network design and its application to an antenna input impedance automatic matching system," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, 489-492, 2004.
10. Pues, H. F. and A. R. Van de Capelle, "An impedance matching technique for increasing the bandwidth of microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 1345-1354, 1989.
11. Kaya, A., S. Kln, E. Y. Y¨uksel, and U. Cam, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip antenna using negative inductance as impedance matching device," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, 476-478, 2004.
12. Thompson, M. and J. K. Fidler, "Determination of the impedance matching domain of impedance matching networks," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 51, 2098-2106, 2004.
13. Goras, L., "Linear and nonlinear mutators derived from GIC-type configurations," IEEE Trans. on circuits and systems, Vol. 28, 165-169, 1981.
14. Antoniou, A., "Novel RC-active network synthesis using generalized immitance converters," IEEE Trans. on Circuit Theory, Vol. 17, 1970.
15. Bilotti, F., F. Urbani, and L. Vegni, "Design of an active integrated antenna for a PCMCIA card," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 253-270, 2006.
16. Alkanhal, M. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007.
17. Afrooz, K., A. Abdipour, A. Tavakoli, and M. Movahhedi, "Time domain analysis of active transmission line using FDTD technique (application to microwave/mm-wave transistors)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 309-328, 2007.
18. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Kharakhili, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.