The electromagnetic rays might be shaded when an obstacle occurs in its way. In this paper, the close analytic expressions determining whether a ray is shaded by boards, elliptic cylinders, elliptic spheres and elliptic cones are presented based on general principle of Geometrical Optics. In optical methods like GTD or UTD in computational electromagnetics which are based on various rays, what studied in this paper with the advantages of analytical measures can be useful to keep the rays valid. Several examples are given as further proof.
2. Di Giampaoloi, E. and F. Bardati, GTD ray tracing by topological mapping, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 673-676, 2005.
3. Cannon, P. and R. Norman, "The relative performance of numeric and analytic ray tracing," IEE Seventh Conf. on HF Radio Systems and Techniques, 145-148, 1997.
4. Tokgoz, C., P. H. Pathak, and R. J. Marhefka, "An asymptotic solution for the surface magnetic field within the paraxial region of a circular cylinder with an impedance boundary condition," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 53, 1435-1443, 2005.
5. Tiberio, R. and S. Maci, "An incremental theory of diffraction: scalar formulation," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 42, 600-612, 1994.
6. Koutitas, G. and C. Tzaras, "Multiple cylinder UTD solution," IEE Proceedings, Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, 515-517, 2003.
7. Zong, W.-H., C.-H. Liang, X.-Y. Cao, and T.-M. Xiang, "Diffraction ray tracing of GTD on the cone and cylinder," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 29, No. 4, 482-485, 2002.
8. Liang, C. H., B. Cui, and W. H. Zong, "Analytical formulas for reflection-ray tracing on the cylinder and cone base on the Fermat principle," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 19, No. 2, 153-156, 2004.
9. Liang, C.-H., Y.-Y. Tan, and W.-H. Zong, "Determination of second-order reflection points in the system of cylinder and cone using Format's principle," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 31, No. 4, 497-500, 2004.