The diffraction efficiency (DE) of guided optical waves (GOWs) and the magneto-optic (MO) -3 dB bandwidth are key parameters in MO Bragg cells. To improve the diffraction performance, the MO Stokes interaction between magnetostatic forward volume waves (MSFVWs) and GOWs are studied by use of the coupledmode theory in metal clad yttrium-iron-garnet (YIG) waveguides. Our analysis shows that, by adjusting the spacing of the metal layer from the ferrite surface, (1) the DE can be further increased by 7.32 dB compared with that of the inclined magnetization, but the MO bandwidth will be dropped down to the low level in the optimizing waveguide configuration; (2) when the DE and the MO bandwidth should be considered synthetically, a DE improvement of 3.9 dB with a bandwidth about 560 MHz is achieved corresponding to the large gainbandwidth product. Thus, the YIG waveguide coated with perfect metal layers can be used to improve the performance of MO Bragg cells.
2. Adam, J. D., T. W. O'Keefe, and M. R. Daniel, "Magnetostatic wave devices for microwave signal processing," SPIE Real-Time Signal Proc., Vol. 241, 96-103, 1980.
3. Sethares, J. C., J. M. Owens, and C. V. Smith, "M.S.W. non-dispersive electronically tunable time delay elements," Electron. Lett., Vol. 16, 825-826, 1980.
4. Ganguly, A. K. and D. C. Webb, "Microstrip excitation of magnetostatic surface waves: theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 23, 998-1006, 1975.
5. Emtage, P. R., "Interaction of magnetostatic waves with a current," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 49, 4475-4484, 1978.
6. Wu, B.-J., "Analysis of mode characteristics of microwave magnetostatic waves," Journal of Microwares, Vol. 22, 5-7, 2006.
7. Wu, B.-J. and K. Qiu, "An effective method for improving diffraction performance of magnetostatic backward volume wave based magneto-optic Bragg cells by using an appropriately titled bias magnetic field in YIG film plane," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 303, 227-231, 2006.
8. Ma, C. and J. Cao, "TM mode optical characteristics of five-layer MOS optical waveguides," Opt. Quant. Eletron., Vol. 26, 877-884, 1994.
9. She, S. X., "Accurate perturbation analysis of metal-clad and absorptive multilayer dielectric waveguides in near cutoff," Opt. Commun., Vol. 135, 241-246, 1997.
10. Kumar, D., V. K. Sharma, and K. N. Tripathi, "Frequency response of metal clad planar optical waveguides," Optics Laser Technol., Vol. 39, 68-71, 2007.
11. Young, D. and C. S. Tsai, "GHz bandwidth magneto-optic interaction in yttrium iron garnet-gadolinium gallium garnet waveguide using magnetostatic forward volume waves," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 53, 1696-1698, 1988.
12. Wu, B.-J. and K. Qiu, "Magneto-optic coupling theory for guided optical waves and magnetostatic waves using an arbitrarily titled bias magnetic field," Chin. Phys. Lett., Vol. 22, 2396-2399, 2005.