The paper reports on investigations into new schemes for dimensional scaling of the elements of a microstrip reflectarray to obtain a slower slope of the reflected wave phase characteristic. First, the phase response as a function of various shape elements is investigated when only one of their dimensions is varied. Next investigations concern the case when two dimensions or features of the element are scaled in a certain manner simultaneously. In the latter case, it is shown that phase responses of lower slopes with a minimal range reduction can be obtained. The feasibility of this concept is illustrated for dipoles, rectangular patches, and square and circular rings. Comparisons of the obtained results show that twodimensionally scaled square and circular rings offer much better phase responses than those observed for dipoles and patches.
2. Kelkar, A., FLAPS: conformal phased reflecting surfaces, Proc. IEEE National Radar Conf., 58-62, Los Angeles, CA, 1991.
3. Pozar, D. M. and T. A. Metzler, "Analysis of a reflectarray antenna using microstrip patches of variable size," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 8, 657-658, 1993.
4. Targonski, S. D. and D. M. Pozar, Analysis and design of a microstrip reflectarray using patches of variable size, IEEE AP-S Symposium Digest, 1820-1823, 1994.
5. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, 2001.
6. Tsai, F.-C. E. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Designing a 161-element Ku-band microstrip reflectarray of variable size patches using an equivalent unit cell waveguide approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Prop., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2953-2962, 2003.
7. Zornoza, J. A. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Australia and New Zealand satellite coverage using a microstrip patch reflectarray," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 37, No. 5, 321-325, 2003.
8. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, M. Cuhaci, and A. Ittipiboon, "A broadband reflectarray with double square rings as the cell elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1317-1320, 2006.
9. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, M. Cuhaci, and A. Ittipiboon, "Broadband reflectarray antenna with double cross loops," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 2, 65-66, 2006.
10. Li, H., B.-Z. Wang, and P. Du, "Novel broadband reflectarray antenna with windmill-shaped elements for millimeter-wave application," Int. Journal of Infrared & Milimetere Waves, 339-344, 2007.
11. De Vita, P., A. Di Maria, A. Freni, G. L. Dassano, P. Pirinoli, and R. E. Zich, Design, optimization and analysis of broadband reflectarray antennas, Proc. ICEAA07, Turin, Italy, 2007.
12. Li, H., B.-Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Novel broadband reflectarray antenna with compound-cross-loop elements for millimetre-wave applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1333-1340, 2007.