In this paper, a virtual cathode oscillator (VCO) is simulated based on FDTD algorithm. The geometrical structure is coaxial. Electromagnetic fields and current graphs are calculated. For the first time it has been shown that the delay between input pulse and output microwave signal originate from the waveguide transition delay time and the virtual cathode generation loop delay time.
2. Li, Z. and J. Cui, "Sandwich-structure waveguides for very high-power generation and transmission using left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 101-116, 2007.
3. Benford, J., J. A. Swegle, and E. Schamiloglu, High Power Microwaves, 2nd Ed., Taylor & Francis, 2007.
4. Zherlitsyn, A. G., "Microwave generation by triode with coaxial-type virtual cathode," Pis’ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz., Vol. 16, No. 22, 78-80, 1990.
5. Jiang, W., K. Woolverton, J. Dickens, and M. Kristiansen, "High power microwave generation by a coaxial virtual cathode oscillator," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 27, No. 15, 1538-1542, 1999.
6. Wang, Y. J., W. J. Koh, C. K. Lee, and K. Y. See, "Electromagnetic coupling analysis of transient signal through slots or apertures perforated in a shielding metallic enclosure using FDTD methodology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 247-264, 2002.
7. Idemen, M., "Derivation of the Lorentz transformations from Maxwell equations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 451, 2005.
8. Jiang, W., K. Masugata, and K. Yatsui, "Mechanism of microwave generation by virtual cathode oscillation," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 2, No. 3, 982-986, 1995.
9. Platt, R., B. Anderson, J. Christofferson, J. Enns, M. Haworth, J. Metz, P. Pelletier, R. Rupp, and D. Voss, "Low-frequency, multigigawattmicrowave pulses generated by a virtual cathode oscillator," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 13, 1215-1216, 1989.
10. Fazio, M. V., R. F. Hoeberling, and J. K. Wright, "Narrow-band microwave generation from an oscillating virtual cathode in a resonantcavity," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 65, No. 3, 1321-1327, 1989.
11. Scarpetti, R. D. and S. C. Burkhart, "The study of a reflex oscillatorused to generate high-power microwaves," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 13, No. 6, 506-512, 1985.
12. Davis, H. A., R. R. Bartsch, L. E. Thode, E. G. Sherwood, and R. M. Stringfield, "High-power microwave generation from a virtual cathodedevice," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 21, 2293-2296, 1985.
13. Sze, H., J. Benford, T. Young, D. Bromley, and B. Harteneck, "A radiallyand axially extracted virtual-cathode oscillator (vircator)," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 13, No. 6, 492-497, 1985.
14. Puccini, A., "About the interference induced by electrons why does the electron behave like a wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 199-222, 2006.
15. Bopp III, C. L. and C. M. Butler, "Analysis of transmission of a signal through a complex cylindrical/coaxial cavity by transmission line methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 33-51, 2006.
16. Soliman, E. A., A. Helaly, and A. A. Megahed, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in planar bounded plasma region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 25-37, 2007.
17. Rothenstein, B., S. Popescu, and G. J. Spix, "Relativistic derivations of the electric and magnetic fields generated by an electric point charge moving with constant velocity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1189-1194, 2006.
18. Sabry, R. and S. K. Chaudhuri, "Formulation of emission from relativistic free electrons in a ring structure for electro-optical applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 135-161, 2005.
19. Xing, Q., D. Wang, F. Huang, and J. Deng, "Two-dimensional theoretical analysis of the dominant frequency in the inward-emitting coaxial vircator," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 34, No. 3, 584-589, 2006.
20. Hillion, P., "Electromagnetic pulses in dispersive media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 18, 245-260, 1998.
21. Hillion, P., "Electromagnetic pulse propagation in dispersive media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 299-314, 2002.
22. Sten, J. C. and A. Hujanen, "Aspects on the phase delay and phase velocity in the electromagnetic near-field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 67-80, 2006.