The performance of capacitive interdigital sensors involved with anisotropic and inhomogeneous nematic liquid crystal (LC) film is investigated. These sensors have potential applications in chemical and biological systems. The theory for modeling the permittivity tensor of the LC film as a function of the molecular orientation is presented. The LC film is handled as inhomogeneous material where molecules are assumed to have different orientations with respect to the frame axes. Under these conditions, fringing field capacitances as functions of the molecular deformations are calculated. Examples of modeled capacitive interdigital sensors in the present of different inhomogeneous distributions of LC films will be studied and discussed.
2. Alley, G., "Interdigital capacitors and their application to lumpedelement microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 18, 1028-1076, 1970.
3. Hobdell, J., "Optimization of interdigital capacitors," IEEE Transactions on MTT, 788-791, 1979.
4. Esfandiari, R., D. Maki, and M. Siracusa, "Design of interdigital capacitors and their application to GaAs monolithic filters," IEEE Transactions on MTT, 57-64, 1983.
5. She, X. and Y. Chow, "Interdigital microstrip capacitor as a four-port network," IEE Proceedings, Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 133, 191-197, 1986.
6. Gevorgian, S., T. Martinsson, P. Linner, and E. Kolberg, "CAD models for multilayered substrate interdigital capacitors," IEEE Transactions on MTT, 896-904, 1996.
7. Zhu, L. and K. Wu, "Accurate circuit model of interdigital capacitor and its application to design of new quasi-lumped miniaturized filters with suppression of harmonic resonance," IEEE Transactions on MTT, 347-356, 2000.
8. Gharsallah, A., A. Gharbi, L. Desclos, and H. Baudrand, "Analysis of interdigital capacitors and quasilumped miniaturized filters using iterative method," Int. Journal of Numerical Modeling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 15, 169-179, 2002.
9. Niu, J.-X. and X.-L. Zhou, "Analysis of balanced composite right/left handed structure based on different dimensions of complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 341-351, 2007.
10. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide coupler on ferrite substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 69-75, 2008.
11. Abbaspour-Sani, E., N. Nasirzadeh, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Two novel structures for tunable MEMS capacitor with RF applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 169-183, 2007.
12. Li, L. and D. Uttamchandani, "A concept of moving dielectrophoresis electrodes based on microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) actuators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 89-94, 2008.
13. Mamishev, A. V., K. Sundara-Rajan, F. Yang, Y. Du, and M. Zahn, "Interdigital sensors and transducers," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 92, No. 5, 808-845, 2004.
14. Abu-Abed, A., R. G. Lindquist, and W.-H. Choi, "Capacitive transduction for liquid crystal based sensors, Part I: Ordered systems," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, No. 12, 1617-1624, Dec. 2007.
15. Shah, R. and N. L. Abbott, "Principles for measurement of chemical exposure based on recognition-driven anchoring transitions in liquid crystals," Science, Vol. 293, No. 5533, 1296-1299, 2001.
16. Brake, J., M. Daschner, and N. L. Abbott, "Biomolecular interactions at phospholipid decorated surfaces of thermotropic liquid crystals," Science, Vol. 302, No. 5653, 2094-2097, 2003.
17. Shah, R. R. and N. L. Abbott, "Coupling of the orientations of liquid crystals and electrical double layers formed by the dissociation of surface-immobilized salts," Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 105, No. 21, 4936-4950, 2001.
18. Van Nelson, J. A., S. R. Kim, and N. L. Abbott, "Amplification of specific binding events between biological species using lyotropic liquid crystals," Langmuir, Vol. 18, No. 13, 5031-5035, 2002.
19. Ding, W., L. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in biaxially anisotropic left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 37-42, 2007.
20. Zheng, L. G. and W. X. Zhang, "Analysis of bi-anisotropic PBG structure using plane wave expansion method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 233-246, 2003.
21. Wang, M. Y., J. Xu, J. Wu, B. Wei, H. L. Li, T. Xu, and D. B. Ge, "FDTD study on wave propagation in layered structures with biaxial anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 253-265, 2008.
22. Rostami, A. and H. Motavali, "Asymptotic iteration method: A powerful approach for analysis of inhomogeneous dielectric slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 171-182, 2008.
23. Franceschini, G., A. Abubakar, T. M. Habashy, and A. Massa, "A comparative assessment among iterative linear solvers dealing with electromagnetic integral equations in 3D inhomogeneous anisotropic media," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 899-914, 2007.
24. Jarem, J. M., "Rigorous coupled wave theory of anisotropic, azimuthally-inhomogeneous cylindrical systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 109-127, 1998.
25. Collings, P. J., Liquid Crystals, Nature's Delicate Phase of Matter, 2nd edition, Princeton University Press, 2002.