This paper presents a block based digital image watermarking algorithm that is dependent on the mathematical technique of singular value decomposition (SVD). Traditional SVD watermarking already exists for watermark embedding on the image as a whole. In the proposed approach, the original image is divided into blocks, and then the watermark is embedded in the singular values (SVs) of each block, separately. The watermark embedding on a blockby- block basis makes the watermark more robust to the attacks such as noise, compression, cropping and lowpass filtering as the results reveal. The watermark detection is implemented by extracting the watermark from the SVs of the watermarked blocks. Extracting the watermark from one block at least is enough to ensure the existence of the watermark.
2. Shoemaker, C. and Rudko, Hidden bits: A survey of techniques for digital watermarking, Independent Study EER-290 Prof. Rudko, Spring 2002.
3. Liu, R. and T. Tan, "An SVD-based watermarking scheme for protecting rightful ownership," IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, Vol. 4, No. 1, March 2002.
4. Wang, Y. H., T. N. Tan, and Y. Zhu, "Face verification based on singular value decomposition and radial basis function neural network ,", National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR), Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
5. Ganic, E. and A. M. Eskicioglu, A DFT-BASED semi-blind multiple watermarking scheme images, CUNY Brooklyn College, 2900 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11210, USA.
6. Tewfik, A. H., "Watermarking digital image and video data ," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, September 2000.
7. Sverdlov, A., S. Dexter, and A. M. Eskicioglu, "Robust DCT-SVD domain image watermarking for copyright protection: Embedding data in all frequencies," Proceedings of the 13th European Signal Processing Conference, 2005.
8. Petitcolas, F. A. P., R. J. Anderson, and M. G. Kuhn, "Information hiding—A survey," Proceeding of the IEEE , Vol. 87, No. 7, July 1999.
9. Lin, C. Y., M. Wu, J. A. Bloom, I. J. Cox, M. L. Miller, and Y. M. Lui, "Rotation, scaling, and translation resilient watermarking for images ," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 5, May 2001.
10. Shieh, J. M., D. C. Lou, and M. C. Chang, "A semi-blind watermarking scheme based on singular value decomposition," Computer Standards & Interface, Vol. 28, 428-440, 2006.
11. Xiao, L., Z. H. Wei, and H. Z. Wu, "Ridgelet-based robust and perceptual watermarking for images," IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, Vol. 6, No. 2B, February 2006.