A compact meander-line resonator is proposed in this paper, which could provide negative permittivity with a small unit-towavelength ratio. The meander-line structure is simple to be designed and is convenient to be controlled. Negative index materials (NIM) are realized using units composed of meander lines and split-ring resonators (SRRs), which have simultaneously negative permittivity and permeability in a specified pass band with relatively low loss. Simulation results show the identified properties of the meander-line resonator and NIM.
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction ," Science, Vol. 292, No. 6, 77, Apr. 2001.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773, Jun. 1996.
4. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075, Nov. 1999.
5. Xu, W., L.-W. Li, H.-Y. Yao, and T.-S. Yeo, "Extraction of constitutive relation tensor parameters of SRR structures using transmission line theory," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, 13-25, 2006.
6. Henin, B. H., M. H. Al Sharkawy, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Scattering of obliquely incident plane wave by an array of parallel concentric metamaterial cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 285-307, 2007.
7. Boutayeb, H., K. Mahdjoubi, and A. C. Tarot, "Multi-layer crystals of metallic wires: Analysis of the transmission coefficient for outside and outside excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 299-324, 2006.
8. Boutayeb, H., A.-C. Tarot, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Focusing characteristics of a metallic cylindrical electromagnetic band gap structure with defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 89-103, 2006.
9. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H.-S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
10. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
11. Lin, X. Q., Q. Cheng, R. P. Liu, D. Bao, and T. J. Cui, "Compact resonator filters and power dividers designed with simplified metastructures," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 12, 1663-1672, 2007.
12. Li, D., Y. J. Xie, P. Wang, and R. Yang, "Applications of splitring resonances on multi-band frequency selective surfaces," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl. , Vol. 21, No. 11, 1551-1563, 2007.
13. Edalati, A., H. Boutayeb, and T. A. Denidni, "Band structure analysis of recofigurable metallic crystals: Effect of active elements ," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl. , Vol. 21, No. 15, 2421-2430, 2007.
14. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 23, 1780, Jun. 2006.
15. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1516, Jul. 2003.
16. Ran, L., J. Huangfu, H. Chen, X. Zhang, and K. Cheng, "Experimental study on several left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 249-279, 2005.
17. Chen, H., L. Ran, J. Huangfu, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Left-handed materials composed of only S-shaped resonators," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1516, Jul. 2003.
18. Chen, H., L. Ran, B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, and T. M. Grzegorczyk, "Crankled s-ring resonator with small electrical size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 179-190, 2006.
19. Liu, R., A. Degiron, J. J. Mock, and D. R. Smith, "Negative index material composed of electric and magnetic resonators," App. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 263504, Jun. 2007.
20. Koschny, T., M. Kafesaki, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Effective medium theory of left-handed materials ," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 10, 07402, Sep. 2004.
21. Prosvirnin, S. L. and S. Zouhdi, "On the effective constitutive parameters of metal-dielectric arrays of complex-shaped particles ," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 5, 583-598, 2006.
22. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, 036617, Mar. 2005.