A no-load induction motor under static eccentricity is modeled using time stepping finite element (TSFE) method; current, torque, and speed signals of the motor are obtained by finite element method (FEM) and used for static eccentricity fault diagnosis and analysis. The frequency spectrum analysis of the stator current around fundamental frequency component is used to predict the static eccentricity. Noise, unbalanced magnetic pull (UMP) and arc occur during the starting of the faulty motor, therefore, performance of the motor over the period of starting up to the steady-state is investigated. It is shown that the rate of obtained signals from the constant permeability based analysis is very larger than that of the real case. It is indicated that in order to obtain accurate results the saturation must be taken into account in the analysis of the motor. Simulation results for a 3 hp, three-phase, 230 V, 36 stator slots induction motor with 28 rotor slots are given in this paper. Experimental results for the motor confirm the simulation results very well.
2. Thomson, W. T., "On line current monitoring and application of a finite element method to predict the level of static air gap eccentricity in three-phase induction motors ," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 13, No. 14, 347-354, Dec. 1998.
3. Benbuzid, M. E. H., "Bibliography on induction motors faults detection and diagnosis," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, 1065-1074, Dec. 1992.
4. Ostovcic, V., "A method for evaluation of transient and steady state performance in saturated squirrel cage induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 1, No. 3, 190-197, Sept. 1986.
5. Demerdash, N. A., J. F. Bangura, and A. A. Arkadan, "A timestepping coupled finite element-state space model for induction motor drives. I. Model formulation and machine parameter computation," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1465-1471, Dec. 1999.
6. Stoll, R. L., "Simple computational model for calculating the unbalanced magnetic pull on a two-pole turbo generator due to eccentricity," IEE Proc. Elect. Power Appl., Vol. 144, No. 4, 263-270, 1997.
7. Vaish, A. and H. Parthasarathy, "Analysis of a rectangular waveguide using finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 117-125, 2008.
8. Zhou, X. and G. Pan, "Application of physical spline finite element method (PSFEM) to full wave analysis of wave guides," Progres In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 19-41, 2006.
9. Qiu, Z. J., J. D. Xu, G. Wei, and X. Y. Hou, "An improved time domain finite element-boundary integral scheme for electromagnetic scattering from 3-d objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 119-135, 2007.
10. Faghihi, F. and H. Heydari, "A combination of time domain finite element-boundary integral with time domain physical optics for calculation of electromagnetic scattering of 3-d structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 463-474, 2008.
11. Sun, X. Y. and Z. P. Nie, "Vector finite element analysis of multicomponent induction response in anisotropic formations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 21-39, 2008.
12. Tai, C.-C. and Y.-L. Pan, "Finite element method simulation of photoinductive imaging for cracks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 53-61, 2008.
13. Zhou, X., "Physical spline finite element (PSFEM) solutions to one dimensional electromagnetic problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 271-294, 2003.
14. Isaakidis, S. A. and T. D. Xenos, "Parabolic equation solution of tropospheric wave propagation using FEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 257-271, 2004.
15. Demerdash, N. A. and P. Baldassari, "A combined finite elementstate space modeling environment finite element-state space modeling environment for induction motors in the ABC frame of reference: The no-load condition," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 7, No. 4, 698-709, Dec. 1992.
16. Baldassari, P. and N. A. Demerdash, "A combined finite element-state space modeling environment for induction motors in the ABC frame of reference: The blocked-rotor and sinusoidally energized load conditions ," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 7, No. 4, 710-720, Dec. 1992.
17. Salon, S. J., M. J. DeBortoli, D. W. Burow, and C. J. Slavik, "Calculation of circulating current between parallel windings in induction motors with eccentric rotors by the finite element method," Proceedings of ICEM’92, 371-375, Manchester, UK, Sept. 15–17, 1993.
18. DeBortoli, M. J., S. J. Salon, D. W. Burow, and C. J. Slavik, "Effects of rotor eccentricity and parallel windings on induction machine behavior: A study using finite element analysis ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 29, No. 2, 1676-1682, 1993.
19. Arkkio, A. and O. Lindgren, "Unbalanced magnetic pull in a highspeed induction motor with an eccentric rotor," Proceedings of ICEM’94, 53-58, Paris, France, Sept. 5–8, 1994.
20. Arkkio, A., "Unbalanced magnetic pull in cage induction motors — Dynamic and static eccentricity," Proceedings of ICEM’96 , 192-197, Vigo, Spain, Sept. 10–12, 1996.
21. Arkkio, A., "Unbalanced magnetic pull in cage induction motors with asymmetry in rotor structures," IEE Conference Publication Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives , No. 444, 36-40, Sept. 1–3, 1997.
22. Bangura, J. F., F. N. Isaac, N. A. Demerdash, and A. A. Arkadan, "A time-stepping coupled finite element-state space model for induction motor drives. II. Machine performance computation and verification," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1472-1478, Dec. 1999.
23. Bangura, F. and N. A. Demerdash, "Diagnosis and characterization of effects of broken bars and connectors in squirrel-cage induction motors by a time-stepping coupled finite element-state space modeling approach ," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1167-1176, Dec. 1999.
24. Bangura, J. F. and N. A. Demerdash, "Effects of broken bars/endring connectors and air gap eccentricities on ohmic and core losses of induction motors in ASDs using a coupled finite elementstate space method," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 15, No. 1, 40-47, Mar. 2000.
25. Povinelli, R. J., J. F. Bangura, N. A. Demerdash, and R. H. Brown, "Diagnostics of bar and end-ring connector breakage faults in poly phase induction motors through a novel dual track of time-series data mining and time-stepping coupled FE-state space modeling," Electric Machines and Drives Conference, 2001, IEMDC 2001, IEEE International 2001, 809-813, 2001.