This paper is addressed to a design of K-band dual mode radar used in traffic information collection. The radar can work in both Frequency Modulate Continual Wave (FMCW) mode and Continual Wave (CW) mode. As VCO is seldom used as the oscillator in CW radar for velocity measurement, this paper studied the effect of phase noise and detecting distance on velocity error in CW mode in VCO design. The analysis shows that the effect of phase noise on velocity error can be reduced by shortening the detecting distance. There's little difference in short-range velocity measurement between the dual mode radar with MMIC VCO and the CW radar with low phase noise oscillator.
2. Singh, A. K., P. Kumar, T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, and S. Bhooshan, "A novel digital beamformer with low angle resolution for vehicle tracking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 229-237, 2006.
3. Xue, W. and X. W. Sun, "Target detection of vehicle volume detecting radar based on Wigner-Hough transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1513-1523, 2007.
4. Cui, B., J. Zhang, and X. W. Sun, "Single layer microstrip antenna arrays applied in millimeter-wave radar front-end," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 22, 3-15, 2008.
5. Shi, X., F.Wei, Q. Huang, L.Wang, and X.-W. Shi, "Novel binary search algorithm of backtracking for RFID tag anti-collision," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 97-104, 2008.
6. Roberton, M. and E. R. Brown, "Integrated radar and communications based on chirped spread-specturm," IEEE MTTS, 2003.
7. Conn, M., F. Koenig, G. Goldman, and E. Adler, "Waveform generation and signal processing for a multifunction radar system," IEEE Radar Conference, 2004.
8. Haridim, M., H. Matzner, Y. Ben-Ezra, and J. Gavan, "Cooperative targets detection and tracking range maximization using multimode ladar/radar and transponders," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, 1105-1117, 2004.
9. Li, Z. and K. Wu, "24 GHz radar front-end for FMCW and spread spectrum radar applications," Radio and Wireless Symposium, 2006 IEEE, 351-354, 2006.
10. Ku, H. S. and T. Yusaf, "Processing of composites using variable and fixed frequency microwave facilities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 185-205, 2008.
11. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
12. Stove, A. G., "Linear FMCW radar techniques," Radar and Signal Processing, IEE Proceedings F, Vol. 139, No. 5, 343-350, 1992.
13. Wang, C. J., B. Y. Wen, Z. G. Ma, W. D. Yan, and X. J. Huang, "Measurement of river surface currents with UHF FMCW radar systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 375-386, 2007.
14. Alivizatos, E. G., M. N. Petsios, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Towards a range-doppler UHF multistatic radar for the detection of noncooperative targets with low RCS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 2015-2031, 2005.
15. Saliminejad, R. and M. R. GhafouriFard, "A novel and accurate method for designing dielectric resonator filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 293-306, 2008.
16. Chang, H.-W., "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation — Mathematical and numerical formulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 329-347, 2008.
17. De, A. and G. V. Attimarad, "Numerical analysis of two dimensional tapered dielectric waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 131-142, 2004.
18. Barnes, J. A., "Characterization of frequency stability," IEEE Trans. IM, Vol. 20, No. 2, 105, 1971.
19. Rutman, J. and F. L. Walls, "Characterization of frequency stability in precision frequency sources," Linear FMCW Radar Techniques, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 7, 952-960, 1991.
20. Drucker, E., "Model PLL dynamics and phase-noise performance," Microwaves & RF, Vol. 2000, Vol. 2000, No. 2, 73-82, 2002.