In this paper a linear series fed Yagi-like antenna array is introduced leading to an end-fire fan beam with low sidelobe level, SLL, high front to back ratio, F/B, and wide impedance bandwidth. The array can provide -29 dB SLL at centre frequency of 16.26 GHz, -20 dB SLL bandwidth of 7.5%, 23 dB F/B and 10.6% impedance bandwidth. Further improvement in SLL can be achieved by extending narrow strips from the finite ground plane of the antenna structure leading to some -32 dB SLL at centre frequency and a -20 dB SLL bandwidth of 8.7%. To verify the accuracy of the simulation results, both of the arrays are fabricated and tested. Finally, to show the applicability of the proposed design, the linear end-fire array of the above are stacked on top of each other and simulation results for a 2-D phased array are provided.
2. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wide band phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.
3. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, 3rd Ed., Vol. 1, 8, McGraw Hill Press, 2008.
4. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, "Comparison of three series fed microstrip array geometries," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 728-731, 1993.
5. Pozar, D. M., "A review of bandwidth enhancement techniques for microstrip antennas," Microstrip Antennas: Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, 157-166, IEEE Press, 1995.
6. Gronau, G., H. Moschuring, and I. Wolff, "Microstrip antenna arrays fed from the backside of the substrate," Proc. Int. Symp., Antennas Propagat., Kyoto, Japan, 1985.
7. Pozar, D. M., "A microstrip antenna aperture coupled to a microstrip line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, 49-50.
8. Pozar, D. M. and R. W. Jackson, "An aperture coupled microstrip antenna with a proximity feed on a perpendicular substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 35, 728-731, Jun. 1987.
9. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Sidelobe suppression in 76 GHz post-wall waveguide-fed parallel plate slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1727-1732, Nov. 2000.
10. Kimura, Y., et al., "GHz alternating-phase fed single --- Layer slotted waveguide arrays with suppressed sidelobes in the E-plane," IEEE Trans. AP-S Dig., Vol. 41, 1042-1045, Jun. 2003.
11. Targonski, S. D., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. M. Pozar, "Wideband aperture coupled stacked patch antenna using thick substrates," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, 1941-1942, Oct. 1996.
12. Oh, S., S. Seo, M. Yoon, C. Oh, E. Kim, and Y. Kim, "A broadband microstrip antenna array for LMDS applications," Microwave and Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 1, 35-37, Jan. 2002.
13. Lewis, L. R., M. Fasset, and J. Hunt, "A broad-band stripline array element," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat. Dig., 335-337, 1974.
14. Yngvesson, K. S., T. L. Korzeniowski, Y. Kim, E. L. Kollbuerg, and J. F. Johansson, "The tapered slot antennas --- A new integrated element for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 365-374, Feb. 1989.
15. Shin, J. and D. H. Schaubert, "A parameter study of stripline fed vivaldi notch-antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 47, No. 5, 879-886, May 1999.
16. Holter, H., T.-H. Chio, and D. H. Schaubert, "Elimination of impedance anomalies in single and dual-polarized end-fire tapered slot phased arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 1, 122-124, Jan. 2000.
17. Chio, T.-H. and D. H. Schaubert, "Parameter study and design of wide-band widescan dual-polarized tapered slot antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 879-886, Jun. 2000.
18. Holter, H., T.-H. Chio, and D. H. Schaubert, "Experimental results of 144-element dual-polarized endfire tapered-slot phased arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1707-1718, Nov. 2000.
19. Zhang, X. C., J. G. Liang, and J. W. Xie, "The quasi-Yagi antenna fed by an orthogonal T-junction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 109-112, 2008.
20. Deal, W., N. Kaneda, J. Sor, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A new quasi-Yagi antenna for planar active antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 6, 910-918, Jun. 2000.
21. Kaneda, N., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A broad-band microstrip to-waveguide transition using quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2562-2567, Dec. 1999.
22. Kaneda, N., W. Deal, Y. Qian, R. Waterhouse, and T. Itoh, "A broad-band planar quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1158-1160, Aug. 2002.
23. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Characteristics of microstrip fed printed bow-tie antenna," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 2, 123-126, Oct. 2004.
24. Elsherbeni, A. Z., A. A. Eldek, and C. E. Smith, "Wideband slot and printed antennas," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, K. Chang, (ed.), John Wiley, Mar. 2005.
25. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Vol. 10, Wiley, New York, 2005.
26. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, 645-665, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, United Kingdom, 1989.
27. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
28. Yuan, T., N. Yuan, L.-W. Li, and M.-S. Leong, "Design and analysis of phased antenna array with low sidelobe by fast algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 131-147, 2008.