In this paper, we propose tunable optical interleaver filters based on the combined Michelson interferometer (MI) and the Gires-Tournois interferometer (GTI) with polarization diversity. The tuning capability is achieved by integrating liquid crystals into the interleaver. In addition to the tunability, it is also shown that the response for this proposed interleaver has a flat-top. Various GTIMI LC-based interleaver structures are discussed in this paper and their performance, in terms of the flat-top and the pass band ripple, are judged. These structures have the advantages of low operation voltage requirements and design simplicity. A GTI-MI interleaver has been fabricated and tested. The experimental results show that the interleaver has tunable response.
2. Alboon, S. A. and R. G. Lindquist, "Flat-top/distortionless tunable filters based on liquid crystal multi cavities for DWDM applications," Proceedings of the IEEE Southeastcon 2008, 117-122, Huntsville, AL, 2008.
3. Wei, L. and J. W. Y. Lit, "Design optimization of flattop interleaver and its dispersion compensation," Optics Express, Vol. 15, 6439-6457, 2007.
4. Hsieh, C. H., C. W. Lee, S. Y. Huang, R. Wang, P. Yeh, and W. H. Cheng, "Flat-top and low-dispersion interleavers using Gires-Tournois etalons as phase dispersive mirrors in a Michelson interferometer," Optics Communications, Vol. 237, 285-293, 2004.
5. Wei, L. and J. W. Y. Lit, "Design of periodic bandpass filters based on a multi-reflector Gires-Tournois resonator for DWDM systems," Optics Communications, Vol. 255, 209-217, 2005.
6. Dingel, B. B. and T. Aruga, "Properties of a novel noncascaded type, easy-to-design, ripple-free optical bandpass filter," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 17, 1461-1469, 1999.
7. Dingel, B. B. and M. Izutsu, "Multifunction optical filter with a Michelson-Gires-Tournois interferometer for wavelength-division-multiplexed network system applications," Optics Letters, Vol. 23, 1099-1101, 1998.
8. Park, H. Y., S. Lee, M.-J. Kim, S.-G. Park, B.-H. O, and E. Lee, "Reduction of an insertion loss in an interleaver with Gires-Tournois etalons by asymmetric input-output port configuration," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, 2024-2028, 2006.
9. Hsieh, C.-H., R. Wang, Z. J. Wen, I. McMichael, P. Yeh, C.-W. Lee, and W.-H. Cheng, "Flat-top interleavers using two Gires-Tournois etalons as phase-dispersive mirrors in a michelson interferometer," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 15, 242-244, 2003.
10. Wei, L. and J. W. Y. Lit, "Periodic filters with a three-mirror Gire-Tournois resonator in a Michelson interferometer," Optical Engineering Letters, Vol. 44, 040503, 2005.
11. Dingel, B. B., "Recent development of novel optical interleaver: Performance and potential," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5246, 2003.
12. Cao, S., J. Chen, J. N. Damask, C. R. Doerr, L. Guiziou, G. Harvey, Y. Hibino, H. Li, S. Suzuki, K.-Y. Wu, and P. Xie, "Interleaver technology: Comparisons and applications requirements," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 22, 281-289, 2004.
13. Zhang, J., L. Liu, Y. Zhou, N. Xu, and L. Wang, "High performance electro-optically tunable birefringent interleaver filters," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5524, 345-353, 2004.
14. Cheng, C.-H. and T. J. Xia, "Novel bandwidth- and center-wavelength-tunable interleaver," Optical Engineering, Vol. 44, 085002, 2005.
15. Zhang, J., L. Liu, Y, and Zhou, "Optimum design of a novel electro-optically tunable birefringent interleaver filter," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 6, 1052-1057, 2004.
16. Carlsen, W. J. and P. Melman, "Birefringent optical multiplexer with flattened bandpass,", U.S. Patnet 4685773, 1987.
17. Buhrer, C. F., "Optical wavelength multiplexer/demultiplexer and demultiplexer/multiplexer,", U.S. Patent 4987567, 1991.
18. Liang, T. K., H. K. Tsang, C. S. Wong, and C. Shu, "All-optical time-division demultiplexing with polarization-diversity nonlinear loop interferometer," Optics Express, Vol. 11, 2047-2052, 2003.
19. Collings, P. J., Liquid Crystals: Nature's Delicate Phase of Matter, Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 2002.