In this paper, design, fabrication, and testing of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) antennas for the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) bands are discussed. The designs proposed in this paper are for UHF RFID tag that conforms to EPCglobal C1G2 1.2.0. The exceptional characteristics of the RFID are investigated in terms of antenna-IC matching and radiation efficiency. The proposed RFID antennas have been fabricated on 5 mil thick Flexible Copper Clad Laminate and the read range of the proposed RFID antennas is experimentally tested. Measured free air read range of all proposed designs is over 4 m. The performance of the tag antenna design affixed to various objects is also tested with read range measurements. The results show that the antenna designs can be used for tagging cardboard and plastic objects.
2. Curty, J.-P., M. Declercq, C. Dehollain, and N. Joehl, Design and Optimization of Passive RFID System, Springer, New York, USA, 2007.
3. Ukkonen, L., M. Schaffrath, D. W. Engels, L. Sydanheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "Operability of folded microstrip patch-type tag antenna in the UHF RFID bands within 865-928 MHz," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 414-417, 2006.
4. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, 2005.
5. Kwon, H. and B. Lee, "Meander line RFID tag at UHF band evaluated with radar cross sections," APMC Proceedings, 2005.
6. Diugwu, C. A., J. C. Batchelor, R. J. Langley, and M. Fogg, "Planar antenna for passive radio frequency identification [RFID] tags," IEEE Africon, 2004.
7. Son, H. W. and C. S. Pyo, "Design of RFID tag antennas using an inductively coupled feed," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 18, 2005.
8. Gaetano, M., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance --- Matching and size reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1, 66-79, 2008.
9. Loo, C. H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. Kishk, and T. Elsherbeni, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008.
10. Nikitin, P. V. and K. V. S. Rao, "Antennas and propagation in UHF RFID systems," 2008 IEEE International Conference on RFID The Venetian, 277-288, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Apr. 16-17, 2008.
11. Dobkin, D. M. and S. M. Weigand, "Environmental effects on RFID tag antennas," Proc. IEEE Int. Microw. Symp., Jun. 2005.
12. Griffin , J. D., G. D. Durgin, A. Haldi, and B. Kippelen, "RF tag antenna performance on various materials using radio link budgets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 2006.