Anechoic chambers which are used for emission and immunity testing require expensive ferrite tiles on their inner surfaces. This paper describes a method to reduce the number of required ferrite tiles, whilst ensuring a reliable and specified test region. In this method, the positions of some ferrite tiles are found optimally to keep the performance of the anechoic chamber as high as possible. An optimum ray-tracing method is presented to predict the electric field in the anechoic chamber. The performance of the proposed method is verified by a comprehensive example simulated by the CST software, which is a full-wave simulator based on time difference method.
2. Kineros, C. and V. Ungvichian, "A low cost conversion of semi-anechoic chamber to fully anechoic chamber for RF antenna measurements," IEEE International Symposium on Electromag. Compat. , Vol. 2, 724-729, Aug. 2003.
3. Collin, R. E., Antennas and Radio Wave Propagation, McGraw Hill, 1985.
4. Dawson, L., J. Clegg, S. J. Porter, J. F. Dawson, and M. J. Alexander, "The use of genetic algorithms to maximize the performance of a partially lined screened room," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 44, No. 1, 233-242, Feb. 2002.
5. Bornkessel, C. and W. Wiesbeck, "Numerical analysis and optimization of anechoic chambers for EMC testing," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 38, No. 3, 499-506, Aug. 1996.
6. Yang, C. F., B. C. Wu, and C. J. Ko, "A ray-tracing method for modeling indoor wave propagation and penetration," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 46, No. 6, 907-919, Jun. 1998.
7. Kim, H. and H. Ling, "Electromagnetic scattering from an inhomogeneous object by ray tracing," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 40, 517-525, May 1992.
8. Razavi, S. M. J. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Optimization of an anechoic chamber with ray-tracing and genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 53-68, 2008.
9. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.
10. Qi, X., J. Zhou, Z. Yue, Z. Gui, L. Li, and S. Buddhudu, "A ferroelectric ferromagnetic composite material with significant permeability and permittivity ," Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 14, No. 9, 920-926, Sept. 2004.
11. Wu, J., M. Y. Koledintseva, and J. L. Drewniak, "FDTD modeling of structures containing dispersive isotropic magnetic materials," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 2, 904-909, Boston, Aug. 18-22, 2003.
12., , www.rfi-ind.com.au/download/Compact%20TC800-20.pdf.
13., , CENELEC EN 61000-4-3: 1996, Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)-Part 4-3: Testing and Measurement Techniques-Radiated, Radio-Frequency, Electromagnetic Field Immunity Test.
14. Kim, H. and H.-S. Lee, "Accelerated three dimensional ray tracing techniques using ray frustums for wireless propagation models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 21-36, 2009.
15. Tayebi, A., J. Gomez, F. S. Saez de Adana, and O. Gutierrez, "The application of ray-tracing to mobile localization using the direction of arrival and received signal strength in multipath indoor environments ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 1-15, 2009.
16. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and H. Ghorbaninejad-Foumani, "To compact waveguide devices by dielectric and ferrite layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 243-255, 2009.