In this paper, the radiation characteristics of the single- element cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna mounted on the surface of a metallic hollow circular cylindrical structure is investigated. The effect of the radius of curvature on the return loss, input impedance, standing wave ratio, and radiation pattern is explored. Mutual coupling between two identical cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas on a cylindrical structure in different configurations is determined. To reduce the mutual coupling between the two antennas, the surface of the cylinderical ground plane is defected by cutting slots, or inserting quarter wavelength grooves between the two antennas. The finite element method and the finite integration technique are used to calculate the radiation characteristics of the antenna.
2. Kajfez, D. and P. Guillon, Dielectric Resonators, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1986.
3. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antenna, Research Studies Press, Hertfordshire, UK, 2003.
4. Chang, T.-H. and J.-F. Kiang, "Sectorial-beam dielectric resonator antenna for WiMAX with bent ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 563-572, February 2009.
5. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Four-element cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband monopole-like radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2657-2662, September 2006.
6. Hady, L. K., D. Kajfez, and A. A. Kishk, "Triple mode use of a single dielectric resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1328-1335, May 2009.
7. Lai, Q., G. Almpanis, C. Fumeaux, H. Benedickter, and R. Vahldieck, "Comparison of the radiation e±ciency for the dielectric resonator antenna and the microstrip antenna at Ka band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3589-3592, November 2008.
8. Yang, L., H.-C. Yang, and C.-L. Ruan, "A novel wideband dielectric resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1499-1507, 2008.
9. Dong, X. and T. An, "A new FEM approach for open boundary Laplace's problem," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 1, 157-160, January 1996.
10. Zhou, X. and G. W. Pan, "Application of physical spline finite element method (PSFEM) to full wave analysis of waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 19-41, 2006.
11. Harscher, P., S. Amari, and R. Vahldieck, "A fast-element-based field optimizer using analytically calculated gradients," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 2, 433-439, February 2002.
12. Weiland, T., "A discretization method for the solution of Maxwell's equations for six-component fields," Electromagnetics and Communications AEU, Vol. 31, No. 3, 116-120, March 1977.
13. Clemens, M. and T. Weiland, "Discrete electromagnetism with the finite integration technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 32, 65-87, 2001.
14. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Comparative study on the mutual coupling between di®erent sized cylindrical dielectric resonators antennas and circular microstrip patch antennas ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1011-1019, March 2005.
15. Khayat, M. A. and J. T. A. Williams, "Mutual coupling between cylindrical probe-fed dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 8-9, January 2002.
16. Kwai-Man, L., L. Wai-Kee, and L. Kwok-Wa, "Mutual impedance of hemispherical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 12, 1652-1654, December 1994.
17. El-Deen, E., S. H. Zainud-Deen, H. A. Sharshar, and M. A. Binyamin, "The effect of the ground plane shape on the characteristics of rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE APS/URSI/AMEREM 2006 Symposium, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, July 2006.
18. El-Deen, E., "Analysis of electromagnetic waves in the time domain ,", MSc. Thesis, Faculty of Electronic Engineering, Menoufia University, Egypt, 2006.
19. Zainud-Deen, S. H., M. E. S. Badr, and E. El-Deen, "Microstrip antenna with defected ground plane structure as a sensor for landmines detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 27-39, 2008.
20. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
21. Zainud-Deen, S. H., M. E. Badr, E. El-Deen, K. H. Awadalla, and H. A. Sharshar, "Microstrip antenna with corrugated ground plane surface as a sensor for landmines detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 259-278, 2008.