The appropriateness of dielectric loaded antenna for the passive millimeter wave imaging application has recently been demonstrated. In this paper, we analyze the optical performance of the passive millimeter wave (PMMW) imaging system based on a 1D focal plane array (FPA) of dielectric rod waveguide (DRW) antennas. A first step in the design process is to analyze the image quality potential of 1D FPA-based imaging system in terms of the point spread function (PSF) and the modulation transfer function (MTF). We consider the effect of lens, DRW antenna, electromagnetic crosstalk between adjacent DRW antenna elements in the array, and sampling. From simulation and measurement, we found that the image quality in the passive millimeter wave imaging system with a DRW antenna array is less sensitive to electromagnetic crosstalk between antenna elements in the array. The measurements and simulations show that the system is diffraction limited and also closely agrees with the Rayleigh criterion of resolution for diffraction limited optical systems.
2. Wilson, W. J., R. J. Howard, and A. C. Ibbot, "Millimeter-wave imaging sensor," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1026-1035, 1986.
3. Lovberg, J., R. Chou, and C. Martin, "Real-time millimeter-wave imaging radiometer for avionics synthetic vision," Proc. SPIE Conf. on Sensing, Imaging, and Vision for Control and Guidance of Aerospace Vehicles, Vol. 2220, 234-244, 1994.
4. Richter, J., D. Notel, F. Kloppel, J. Huck, H. Essen, and L.-P. Schmidt, "A multi-channel radiometer with focal plane array antenna for W-band passive millimeter wave imaging," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 2006.
5. Appleby, R., R. N. Anderton, S. Price, N. A. Salmon, G. N. Sinclair, J. R. Borrill, P. R. Coward, P. Papakosta, A. H. Lettington, and D. A. R, "Compact real-time (video rate) passive millimeter-wave imager," Proc. SPIE Conf. on Passive Millimeter-wave Imaging Technology III, Vol. 3703, 13-19, 1999.
6. Yujiri, L., H. Agravante, M. Biedenbender, G. S. Dow, M. Flannery, S. Fornaca, B. Hauss, R. Johnson, R. Kuroda, K. Jordan, P. Lee, D. Lo, B. Quon, A. Rowe, T. Samec, M. Shoucri, K. Yokoyama, and J. Yun, "Passive millimeter-wave camera," Proc. SPIE Conf. on Passive Millimeter-wave Imaging Technology, Vol. 3064, 15-22, Orlando, 1997.
7. Yujiri, L., H. Agravante, S. Fornaca, B. Hauss, R. Johnson, R. Kuroda, B. Quon, A. Rowe, T. Samec, M. Shoucri, and K. Yokoyama, "Passive millimeter wave video camera," Proc. SPIE Conf. on Passive Millimeter-wave Imaging Technology II, Vol. 3378, 15-22, 1998.
8. Rutledge, D. B. and M. S. Muha, "Imaging antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 4, 1982.
9. Goldsmith, P. F., C. T. Hsieh, and G. R. Huguenin, "Focal plane imaging systems for millimeter wavelengths," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1664-1675, 1993.
10. Qassim, K. A. S., Optimization of focal plane arrays for microwave imaging; printed yagi, dielectric rod and constant width slot antennas are investigated and optimized for close stacking in focal plane arrays intended for microwave imaging, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Branford, UK, Bradford, 1992.
11. Dow, G. S., T. N. Ton, H. Wang, D. C. W. Lo, W. Lam, B. Allen, K. L. Tan, and J. Berenz, "W-band MMIC direct detection receiver for passive imaging," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 163, 1993.
12. Kuroda, R. T., G. S. Dow, D. Moriarty, R. Johnson, A. Quil, S. D. Tran, V. Pajo, S. Fornaca, and L. Yujiri, "Large scale W-band focal plane array developments for passive millimeter wave imaging," Proc. SPIE Conf. on Passive Millimeter-wave Imaging Technology II, Vol. 3378, 75-62, Orlando, FL, 1998.
13. Richter, J. and L.-P. Schmidt, "Dielectric rod antennas as optimized feed elements for focal plane array," Proceeding of the IEEE AP-S International Antennas and Propagation Symposium, Vol. 3A/4, Washington, D.C., USA, Jul. 2005.
14. Lioubtchenko, D. V., S. N. Dudorov, J. Mallat, and A. V. Raisanen, "Dielectric rod waveguide antenna for W band with good input match," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2005.
15. Kim, W. G., J. P. Thakur, and Y.-H. Kim, "Efficient DRW antenna for quasi-optics feed in W-band imaging radiometer system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1221-1223, 2010.
16. Thakur, J. P., W.-G. Kim, and Y.-H. Kim, "High resolution large aperture aspheric dielectric lens antenna for W-band quasioptics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 57-65, 2010.
17. Vollmerhausen, R. H. and R. G. Driggers, Analysis of Sampled Imaging Systems, Vol. TT39, ISBN 0-8194-3489-2, SPIE Press, 2000.
18. Boreman, G. D., Modulation Transfer Function in Optical and Elctro-optical Systems, Vol. TT52, ISBN 0-8194-4143-0, SPIE Press, 2001.
19. Goodman, J. W., Introduction to Fourier Optics, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
20. Wasylkiwskyj, W. and W. K. Kahn, "Theory of mutual coupling among minimum-scattering antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1970.
21. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley & Sons, 2005.
22. Kim, W.-G., N.-W. Moon, Y.-J. Kim, J.-M. Jung, M.-K. Jung, Y.-S. Chang, M.-S. Park, and Y.-H. Kim, "Development of 30 channels millimeter wave imaging radiometer equipment (MIRAE)," Proceeding of International Symposium on Remote Sensing, Busan, South Korea, Oct. 2009.