In this paper a multifunctional microstrip antenna is designed, fabricated and experimentally verified for operation in AWS, GSM, WiMAX and WLAN bands. This microstrip patch antenna has two U-shaped slots to achieve the dual wideband operation required to meet these specifications. The dimensions and locations of the U-slots are designed appropriately. The thick substrate used here helps in integrating the antenna with the existing aircraft panel material while achieving wide bandwidths. Experimental results of this single feed antenna indicate that it meets all current requirements for in-cabin wireless communication needs.
2. Niebla, C. P., "Coverage and capacity planning for aircraft incabin wireless heterogeneous network," Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference 2003-Fall, 1658-1662, Oct. 6-9, 2003.
3. Li, R., B. Pan, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel low-profile broadband dual-frequency planar antenna for wireless handsets ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, 1155-1162, 2008.
4. Hwang, K. C., "Dual-wideband monopole antenna using a modified half-Sierpinski fractal gasket," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, 487-489, 2009.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
6. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
7. Garg, R. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Boston, 2001.
8. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
9. Lee, R. Q., K. F. Lee, and J. Bobinchak, "Characteristics of a two-layer electromagnetically coupled rectangular patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 20, 1070-1072, 1987.
10. Chen, W., K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "Spectral-domain moment method analysis of coplanar microstrip parasitic subarrays," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 157-163, 1993.
11. Shackelford, A. K., K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "Design of small-Size wide-bandwidth microstip patch antennas ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, 75-83, Feb. 2003.
12. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broad-band single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, Mar. 2003.
13. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, 2000.
14. Lee, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Tong, Y. L. Yung, and T. Huynh, "Experimental study of the rectangular patch with a U-shaped slot," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 10-13, 1996.
15. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and S. M. Shum, "Analysis of broadband U-slot microstrip antenna," Tenth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 110-113, 1997.
16. Bhalla, R. and L. Shafai, "Resonance behaviour of single U slot and dual U slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 700-703, 2001.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 2 Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2004.
18. Vedaprabhu, B. and K. J. Vinoy, "A double U-slot patch antenna with dual wideband characteristics," Proc. National Conference on Communications, 361-365, Jan. 2010.