A novel robust adaptive beamforming method for conformal array is proposed. By using interpolation technique, the cylindrical conformal array with directional antenna elements is transformed to a virtual uniform linear array with omni-directional elements. This method can compensate the amplitude and mutual coupling errors as well as desired signal point errors of the conformal array efficiently. It is a universal method and can be applied to other curved conformal arrays. After the transformation, most of the xisting adaptive beamforming algorithms can be applied to conformal array directly. The efficiency of the proposed scheme is assessed through numerical simulations.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 2005.
3. Godara, L. C., "Error analysis of the optimal antenna array processors," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 22, No. 4, 395-409, Jul. 1986.
4. Lee, C. C. and J. H. Lee, "Robust adaptive array beamforming under steering vector errors," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 168-175, Jan. 1997.
5. Besson, O. and F. Vincent, "Performance analysis of beamformers using generalized loading of the covariance matrix in the presence of random steering vector errors," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 2, 452-459, Feb. 2005.
6. Li, J. and P. Stoica, Robust Adaptive Beamforming, Jonh Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
7. Du, L., J. Li, and P. Stoica, "Fully automatic computation of diagonal loading levels for robust adaptive beamforming," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 46, No. 1, 449-458, Jan. 2010.
8. Liu, W. L. and S. X. Ding, "An efficient method to determine the diagonal loading factor using the constant modulus feature," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 12, 6102-6106, 2008.
9. Yang, J., X. H. Ma, C. H. Hou, and Y. Liu, "Automatic generalized loading for robust adaptive beamforming," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 3, 219-222, 2009.
10. Gu, Y. J., W. P. Zhu, and M. N. S. Swamy, "Adaptive beamforming with joint robustness against covariance matrix uncertainty and signal steering vector mismatch," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, Jan. 2010.
11. Gupta, I. J. and A. K. Ksienski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the performance of adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 31, 785-791, May 1983.
12. Adve, R. S. and T. K. Sarkar, "Compensation for the effects of mutual coupling on direct data domain adaptive algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, 86-94, Jan. 2000.
13. Huang, Z. Y., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Mutual coupling compensation in UCAs: Simulations and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3082-3086, Nov. 2006.
14. Lui, H. S., H. T. Hui, and M. S. Leong, "A note on the mutual coupling problems in transmitting and receiving antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 5, 171-176, Oct. 2009.
15. Friedlander, B., "Direction finding with an interpolated array," Proc., ICASSP, 2951-2954, Albuquerque, NM, Apr. 1990.
16. Weiss, A. J. and M. Gavish, "Direction finding using ESPRIT with interpolated arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1473-1478, 1991.
17. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding for wide-band signals using an interpolated array," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 4, 1618-1634, 1993.
18. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interpolated esprit algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010.
19. Lee, T. S. and T. T. Kin, "Adaptive beamforming with interpolated arrays for multiple coherent interferers," Signal Processing, Vol. 57, 177-194, 1997.
20. Su, B. W., Y. L. Wang, and L. Z. Zhou, "Robust adaptive beamforming via virtual array transformation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, Vol. 1B, 331-334, 2005.
21. Wiess, A. J. and B. Friendlander, "Performance analysis of spatial smoothing with interpolated array," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1881-1892, May 1993.
22. Li, J., P. Stoica, and Z. Wang, "On robust capon beamforming and diagonal loading," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing., Vol. 51, 1702-1715, 2003.
23. Li, Y., Y.-J. Gu, Z.-G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on particle filter with noise unknown," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 151-169, 2009.