We numerically and experimentally evaluate different designs of coplanar waveguides (CPWs) loaded with split ring resonators (SRRs) and complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs), respectively. In particular, we are interested in their stop-band performance. Starting from structures which consist of two concentric rings, we study devices with only an outer ring, an inner ring or multiple concentric rings. Furthermore, our study shows that introducing slots in the proximity of the SRR or CSRR will modify the stop-band considerably. Single and multiple unit cells for both designs are fabricated and measured. Our results demonstrate the potential of the CSRR/CPW structure for filter applications.
2. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2-D photonic bandgap structure for microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, 69-71, 1998.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., Artech House Publishers, 1996.
5. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components, and Systems, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2001.
6. Martin, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, R. Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Miniaturized coplanar waveguide stop band filters based on multiple tuned split ring resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 13, 511-514, 2003.
7. Falcone, F., F. Martín, J. Bonache, R. Marqués, and M. Sorolla, "Coplanar waveguide structures loaded with split-ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, 3-6, 2004.
8. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marqués, F. Martín, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-ε stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 280-282, 2004.
9. García-García, J., F. Martín, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, J. D. Baena, I. Gil, E. Amat, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. A. M. Iturmendi, M. Sorolla, and R. Marqués, "Microwave filters with improved stopband based on sub-wavelength resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 53, 1997-2004, 2005.
10. Ibraheem, I. A. and M. Koch, "Coplanar waveguide metamaterials : The role of bandwidth modifying slots," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 113517-1-3, 2007.
11. Chen, H., B. Wu, L. Ran, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Controllable left-handed metamaterial and its application to a steerable antenna," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, 053509-1-3, 2006.
12. HFSSTM, available at http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss.
13. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martín, R. Marqués Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. García-García, I. Gil, M. F. Portllo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 53, 1451-1451, 2005.
14. Ibraheem, I. A., J. Schoebel, and M. Koch, "Group delay characteristics in coplanar waveguide left-handed media," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 103, 024903-1-7, 2008.
15. García-García, J., F. Martín, J. D. Baena, R. Marqués, and L. Jelinek, "On the resonances and polarizabilities of split ring resonators," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 98, 033103-1-9, 2005.
16. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Design of spiral and multiple split-ring resonators for the realization of miniaturized metamaterial samples," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 55, 2258-2267, 2007.
17. Crnojevic-Bengin, V., V. Radonic, and B. Jokanovic, "Left-handed microstrip lines with multiple complementary split-ring and spiral resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 1391-1395, 2007.
18. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Negative group velocity in a split ring resonator-coupled microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 33-47, 2009.
19. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, M. Beruete, R. Marqués, F. Martín, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 197401-4, 2004.