A multilayer soil model for retrieving soil moisture content using the Integral Equation Method (IEM) is investigated in this paper. The total reflection coefficients of the natural soil are obtained using the multilayer model, and volumetric scattering is approximated by the internal reflections between layers. The surface reflection terms in IEM model are replaced by the total reflection coefficients from the multi-layer soil surface in retrieving the soil moisture content. The original IEM model includes only the surface scattering of the natural bare soil, while the multilayer soil - IEM model (MS-IEM) includes both the surface scattering and the volumetric scattering within the soil. Both the MS-IEM model and the original IEM model are compared in soil moisture retrieval using the experimental Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) backscattering coefficient data in the literature. It is noted that the mean square error between the measurement data and the values estimated by the modified IEM model is about 7.7%, while that between the measured and the estimated by the original IEM model is about 12%. The accuracy of estimating soil moisture by the IEM model is improved by 4.3%. In addition, the regression analysis between the measured and model-predicted soil moistures has been done.
2. Kuo, C.-H. and M. Mahta, "Electromagnetic scattering from multilayer rough surfaces with arbitrary dielectric profiles for remote sensing of subsurface soil moisture," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 2, 349-366, 2007.
3. Oh, Y., "Quantitative retrieval of soil moisture content and surface roughness from multipolarized radar observations of bare soil surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 3, 596-601, 2004.
4. Zribi, M. and M. Dechambre, "A new empirical model to retrieve soil moisture and roughness from C-band radar data," Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 84, No. 1, 42-52, 2003.
5. Dubois, P. C., J. V. Zyl, and T. Engman, "Measuring soil moisture with imaging radars," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, No. 4, 915-926, 1995.
6. Oh, Y., K. Sarabandi, and F. T. Ulaby, "An empirical model and inversion technique for radar scattering from bare soil surface," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 2, 370-381, 1992.
7. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 2, Addison-Wesley, MA, 1982.
8. Fung, A. K., Z. Li, and K. S. Chen, "Backscattering from a randomly rough dielectric surface," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 2, 356-369, 1992.
9. Fung, A. K., Microwave Scattering and Emission Models and Their Applications, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1994.
10. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing, Active and Passive, Vol. 1, Addison-Wesley, Norwood, MA, 1981.
11. Tsang, L., K. H. Ding, and B. Wen, "Dense media radiative transfer theory for dense discrete random media with particles of multiple sizes and permittivities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 6, 181-230, 1992.
12. Topp, G. C. and J. L. Davis, "Measurements of soil water content using time domain reflectometry: A field evaluation," Soil Sci. Am. J., Vol. 49, 19-24, 1985.
13. Topp, G. C., J. L. Davis, and A. P. Annan, "Electromagnetic determination of soil water content: Measurement in coaxial transmission lines," Water Resour. Res., Vol. 16, 574-582, 1980.
14. Oh, Y., K. Sarabandi, and F. T. Ulaby, "Semi-empirical model of the ensemble-averaged differential mueller matrix for microwave backscattering from bare soil surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1348-1355, 2002.
15. Sano, E. E., M. S. Moran, A. R. Huete, and T. Miura, "C- and multiangle Ku-band synthetic aperture radar data for bare soil moisture estimation in agricultural areas," Remote Sens. of Environ., Vol. 64, 77-90, 1998.
16. Bolten, J. D., V. Lakshmi, and E. G. Njoku, "Soil moisture retrieval using the passive/active L- and S-band radar/radiometer," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 41, 2792-2801, 2003.
17. Neusch, T. and M. Sties, "Application of the Dubois-model using experimental synthetic aperture radar data for the determination of soil moisture and surface roughness," ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, 273-278, 1999.
18. Oh, Y., "Robust inversion technique for retrieving soil moisture from multi-polarised backscatter of bare surface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 7, 414-415, 2006.
19. Wang, Y.-Q. and Y.-Q. Jin, "A genetic algorithm to simultaneously retrieve land surface roughness and soil moisture," Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 90-94, 2000.
20. Yan, S. H., X. B. Wu, and Z. Z. Chen, "Remote sensing with TDMF radar: some preliminary results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 79-90, 2010.
21. Song, K., X. Zhou, and Y. Fan, "Empirically adopted IEM for retrieval of soil moisture from radar backscattering coefficients," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, 1662-1672, 2009.
22. Prasad, R., R. Kumar, and D. Singh, "A radial basis function approach to retrieve soil moistrure and crop variables from X-band scatterometer ovservations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 201-217, 2009.
23. Singh, D., V. Srivastava, B. Pandey, and D. Bhimsaria, "Application of neural network with error correlation and time evolution for retrieval of soil moisture and other vegetation variables," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 245-265, 2009.
24. Liang, D., P. Xu, L. Tsang, Z. Gui, and K.-S. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering by rough surfaces with large heights and slopes with applications to microwave remote sensing of rough surface over layered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 199-218, 2009.
25. Shi, J., J. Wang, A. Y. Hsu, P. E. O'Neill, and E. T. Engman, "Estimation of bare surface soil moisture and surface roughness parameter using L-band SAR image data," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, 1254-1266, 1997.
26. Chen, M. F. and A. K. Fung, "A numerical study of the regions of validity of the Kirchhoff and small perturbation rough surface scattering models," Radio Science, Vol. 23, 163-170, 1988.
27. Walker, J. P., P. A. Troch, M. Mancini, G. R. Willgoose, and J. D. Kalma, "Profile soil moisture estimation using the modified IEM," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, Vol. 3, 1263-1265, 1997.
28. Fung, A. K., M. S. Dawson, K. S. Chen, A. Y. Hsu, E. T. Engman, P. O. O'Neill, and J.Wang, "A modified IEM model for: scattering from soil surfaces with application to soil moisture sensing," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, Vol. 2, 1297-1299, 1996.
29. Cuiñas, I., D. Martínez, M. G. Sánchez, and A. V. Alejos, "Modelling and measuring reflection due to flat dielectric surfaces at 5.8 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 1139-1141, 2007.
30. Burnside, W. D. and K. W. Burgener, "High frequency scattering by a thin lossless dielectric slab," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, 104-110, 1983.