This paper studies the left-handed behavior in conventional 2-port coupled line networks. The propagation parameters of 12 periodic structures, each has a different coupled line configuration, have been derived and the left-handed bands have been determined. Two structures were fabricated and measured to confirm the composite right/left handed (CRLH) characteristics. Measurements and EM simulations were in a very good agreement with the developed theory. In the light of the proposed theory, a geometrical circuit model was also proposed for split ring resonator (SRR). The model is capable to predict its performance over a wide band.
2. Eleftheriades, G. V., "A generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 415-417, 2007.
3. Duran-Sindreu, M., A. Velez, F. Aznar, G. Siso, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Applications of open split ring resonators and open complementary split ring resonators to the synthesis of artificial transmission lines and microwave passive components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3395-3403, 2009.
4. Jones, E. and J. T. BollJahn, "Coupled-strip-transmission-line filters and directional couplers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 4, No. 2, 75-81, 1956.
5. Zysman, G. and A. Johnson, "Coupled transmission line networks in an inhomogeneous dielectric medium," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 17, No. 10, 753-759, 1969.
6. Nguyen, H. and C. Caloz, "Generalized coupled-mode approach of metamaterial coupled-line couplers: Coupling theory, phenomenological explanation, and experimental demonstration," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1029-1039, 2007.
7. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Leaky wave antenna realization by composite right/left-handed transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 39-46, 2009.
8. Safwat, A. M. E., "Microstrip coupled line composite right/left-handed unit cell," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 7, 434-436, 2009.
9. Fouda, A. E., A. M. Safwat, and H. El-Hennawy, "On the applications of the coupled-line composite right/left-handed unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1584-1591, 2010.
10. Abdelaziz, A., T. Abuelfadl, and O. Elsayed, Realization of composite right/left-handed transmission line using broadside coupled coplanar waveguides, 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Charleston, SC, 2009.
11. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, Dec. 2000.
12. Velez, A., J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Varactor-loaded complementary split ring resonators (VLCSRR) and their application to tunable metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 28-30, 2008.
13. Safwat, A. M. E., "High impedance wire composite right/lefthanded transmission lines," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1390-1393, 2010.
14. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Realization of composite right/left-handed transmission line using coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 299-315, 2009.
15. HFSS, High Frequency Structures Simulator, Ansoft Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA, 2008.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc, Sep. 2004.
17. Pendry, J., A. Holden, D. Robbins, and W. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
18. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameter: Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, Wiley-Interscience, 2008.
19. Martel, J., R. Marques, F. Falcone, J. Baena, F. Medina, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "A new LC series element for compact bandpass filter design," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 5, 210-212, 2004.
20., "Metamaterials: A rich opportunity for discovery or an over-hyped gravy train?," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., Boston, MS, Jun. 2009.