Local multipoint distribution service (LMDS) is a broadband wireless access technology that operates at microwave frequencies above 25 GHz. However, severe attenuation due to excessive rain in tropical regions presents a major challenge for achieving reliable communication over such frequencies. To overcome this problem, cell-site diversity (CSD) can be deployed in cellular-type LMDS networks. In this paper, we address the problem of reliable communication for LMDS networks in heavy rain regions by proposing a fuzzy weight controller based cell-site diversity (FWC-CSD) scheme. Rain cells are randomly simulated in an LMDS network to analyze the system performance using the proposed FWC-CSD scheme. Simulation results show that the proposed scheme yields improved performance in terms of average outage probability and throughput while maintaining the overall quality of service.
2. Tsay, M.-K., Z.-S. Lee, and C.-H. Liao, "Fuzzy power control for downlink CDMA-based LMDS network," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, 3917-3921, 2008.
3. Sinka, C. and J. Bito, "Site diversity against rain fading in LMDS systems," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 317-319, 2003.
4. Panagopoulos, A. D., P. D. M. Arapoglou, G. E. Chatzarakis, J. D. Kanellopoulos, and P. G. Cottis, "LMDS diversity systems: a new performance model incorporating stratified rain," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 9, 145-147, 2005.
5. Mandeep, J. S., S. I. S. Hassan, and K. Tanaka, "Rainfall measurements at Ku-band satellite link in Penang, Malaysia," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, 147-151, 2008.
6. Maruyama, T., Y. Shirato, M. Akimoto, and M. Nakatsugawa, "Service area expansion of quasi-millimeter FWA systems through site diversity based on detailed rainfall intensity data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 3285-3292, 2008.
7. Tra, F., R. Jose, M. Bousquet, S. Combes, and C. Fraboul, "Study of the CAC mechanisms for telecommunications systems with adaptive links according to propagation conditions," International Workshop on Satellite and Space Communications 2005 (IWSSC 2005), Siena, Italy, 2005.
8. Arapoglou, P. D. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, J. D. Kanellopoulos, and P. G. Cottis, "Intercell radio interference studies in CDMA-based LMDS networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2471-2479, 2005.
9. Chen, K.-S. and C.-Y. Chu, "A propagation study of the 28 GHz LMDS system performance with M-Qam modulations under rain fading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 35-51, 2007.
10. Chu, C.-Y. and K. S. Chen, "Effects of rain fading on the e±ciency of the Ka-band LMDS system in the Taiwan area," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, 9-19, 2005.
11. Mandeep, J. S., "Equatorial rainfall measurement on KU-Band satellite communication downlink," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 195-200, 2007.
12. Specific attenuation model for rain for use in prediction methods, ITU-R. P.838-3, 2005.
13. Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of terrestrial line-of-sight systems ITU-R Rec. P.530-13, 2009.
14. Hendrantoro, G., R. J. C. Bultitude, and D. D. Falconer, "Use of cell-site diversity in millimeter-wave fixed cellular systems to combat the effects of rain attenuation," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, 602-614, 2002.
15. Georgiadou, E. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "Millimeter wave pulse propagation through distorted raindrops for LOS fixed wireless access channels," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1235-1248, 2006.
16. Mandeep, J. S. and J. E. Allnutt, "Rain attenuation prediction at Ku-Band in South East Asea countries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 65-74, 2007.
17. Dimitris, V. K. I., G. Manolakis, and S. M. Kogon, Statistical and Adaptive Signal Processing, Mc Graw Hill, 2000.
18. Lee, K. H., First Course on Fuzzy Theory and Applications, Springer, 2005.
19. Panagopoulos, A. D., P. D. M. Arapoglou, J. D. Kanellopoulos, and P. G. Cottis, "Intercell radio interference studies in broadband wireless access networks ," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 56, 3-12, 2007.
20. Xiao, S.-Q., M.-T. Zhou, and Y. Zhang, Millimeter Wave Technology in Wireless PAN, LAN and MAN, Auerbach Publications, 2008.
21. Fixed radio systems; Point to multipoint antennas; Antennas for point-to-multipoint ¯xed radio systems in the 11 GHz to 60 GHz band; Part 2: 24 GHz to 30 GHz Vol. EN 301 215-2 V1.2.1: ETSI, 2002.