A fully-integrated bandpass filter using Q-enhanced and semi-passive inductors is design, implemented, and verified experimentally in a standard 0.18-μm CMOS process. The inductors achieve high-Q factors by using a tapped-inductor feedback technique to produce negative resistances. Compared with conventional transformer feedback, the proposed technique not only compensates resistive losses with low-power consumption but also provides a high-inductance inductor which is suitable for low-frequency applications. The 2-pole Chebyshev series-C coupled bandpass filter provides a frequency tuning range of 300 MHz around 2.65 GHz. Measurements shown that it consumes 2.4 mW to achieve 1.0-dB insertion loss, 12-dB return loss, 6.3-dB noise figure, and --- 2.5-dBm input P1dB with a 950-MHz bandwidth at 2.8 GHz. And it consumes 5.6 mW to achieve 1.5-dB insertion loss, 10-dB return loss, 7.9-dB noise figure, and --- 4-dBm input P1dB with a 700-MHz bandwidth at 2.5 GHz. The overall chip size of the filter is 0.7 mm×0.9 mm including all testing pads.
2. Li, Y., M. Hung, S. Huang, and J. Lee, "A fully-integrated 77 GHz FMCW radar system in 65nm CMOS," Digest of ISSCC, 216-217, Feb. 2010.
3. Choi, Y.-S. and J.-B. Yoon, "Experimental analysis of the effect of metal thickness on the quality factor in integrated spiral inductors for RF ICs," IEEE Electron Device Lett., Vol. 25, No. 2, 76-79, Feb. 2004.
4. Long, J. R. and M. A. Copeland, "The modeling, characterization, and design of monolithic inductors for Silicon RF ICs," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuit, Vol. 32, 357-369, Mar. 1997.
5. Long, J. R., "Monolithic transformers for silicon RF IC design," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, 1368-1382, Sep. 2000.
6. Yue, C. P. and S. S. Wong, "On-chip spiral inductors with patterned ground shields for Si-based RF IC's," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, 743-752, May 1998.
7. El-charniti, O., E. Kerherve, and J.-B. Begueret, "Modeling and characterization of on-chip transformers for silicon RFIC," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 607-615, Apr. 2007.
8. Hsu, H.-M., "Analytical formula for inductance of metal of various widths in spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1343-1346, Aug. 2004.
9. He, X. and W. B. Kuhn, "A 2.5-GHz low-power, high dynamic range self-tuned Q-enhanced LC filter in SOI," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 40, No. 8, 1618-1628, Aug. 2005.
10. Wang, T.-P., R.-C. Liu, H.-Y. Chang, L.-H. Lu, and H. Wang, "A 22-GHz push-push CMOS oscillator using micromachined inductors," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 12, 859-861, Dec. 2005.
11. Guthrie, B., J. Hughes, T. Sayers, and A. Spencer, "A CMOS gyrator low-IF filter for a dual-mode Bluetooth/ZigBee transceiver ," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 40, No. 9, 1872-1879, Sep. 2005.
12. Lu, L.-H., Y.-T. Liao, and C.-R. Wu, "A miniaturized Wilkinson power divider with CMOS active inductors," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 775-777, Nov. 2005.
13. Hsien, H.-H., Y.-T. Liao, and L.-H. Lu, "A compact quadrature hybrid MMIC using CMOS active inductors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1098-1104, Jun. 2007.
14. Zheng, Y. and C. E. Saavedra, "Frequency response comparison of two common active inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 113-119, 2010.
15. Georgescu, B., I. G. Finvers, and F. Ghannouchi, "2 GHz Q-enhanced active filter with low passband distortion and high dynamic range ," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 9, 2029-2039, Sep. 2006.
16. Soorapanth, T. and S. S. Wong, "A 0-dB IL 2140±30MHz bandpass filter utilizing Q-enhanced spiral inductors in standard CMOS," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 37, No. 5, 579-586, May 2002.
17. Huang, K.-K., S. Wang, and C.-K. C. Tzuang, "Active bandpass filter using transformer feedback in 0.18-μm CMOS for 802.11a wireless LAN," IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, Seattle, USA, May 18-21, 2008.
18. Kulyk, J. and J. Haslett, "A monolithic CMOS 2368 ± 30MHz transformer based Q-enhanced series-C coupled resonator bandpass filter," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 2, 362-374, Feb. 2006.
19. Georgescu, B., H. Pekau, J. Haslett, and J. McRory, "Tunable coupled inductor Q-enhancement for parallel resonant LC tanks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 705-713, Apr. 2003.
20. Lee, T. H., "The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits," Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, 1998.
21. Christensen, K. T., T. H. Lee, and E. Bruun, "A high dynamic range programmable CMOS front-end filter with a tuning range from 1850 to 2400 MHz," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 1, 55-64, Jan. 2005.
22. Dulger, F., E. Sanchez-Sinencio, and J. Silva-Martinez, "A 1.3-V 5-mW fully integrated tunable bandpass filter at 2.1 GHz in 0.35 μm CMOS ," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, No. 6, 918-928, Jun. 2003.