In this paper, the electromagnetic properties of two different High Impedance Surfaces (HIS) with or without Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) in different configurations are investigated for mutual coupling reduction in small antenna arrays. The resonant mechanisms of these structures are studied using transmission calculations in a parallel plate waveguide. An optimum configuration is then proposed. It is shown that a good isolation performance can be achieved without the need of metallic vias when the structure is embedded in a metallic cavity, which limits significantly the number of HIS cells needed to perform a good isolation and the cost of manufacture.
2. Ngai, E. C. and D. J. Blejer, "Mutual coupling analyses for small GPS adaptive arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 3841, 2001.
3. Kildal, P.-S., "Artificially soft and hard surfaces in electromagnetics and their application to antenna design," 23rd European Microwave Conference, 30-33, Sep. 6--10, 1993.
4. Rajo-Iglesias, E., O. Quevedo-Teruel, and L. Inclan-Sanchez, "Planar soft surfaces and their application to mutual coupling reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3852-3859, Dec. 2009.
5. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "Electromagnetic metamaterial insulator to eliminate substrate surface waves," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2A, 574-577, Jul. 3--8, 2005.
6. Guha, D., S. Biswas, M. Biswas, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structures for microstrip applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 402-405, Dec. 2006.
7. Chiu, C.-Y., C.-H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, Jun. 2007.
8. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, Nov. 1999.
9. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
10. Simovski, C. R. and A. A. Sochava, "High-impedance surfaces based on self-resonant grids. Analytical modelling and numerical simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 239-256, 2003.
11. E., Rajo-Iglesias, O. Quevedo-Teruel, and L. Inclan-Sanchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar EBG structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1648-1655, Jun. 2008.
12. Fan, M. Y., R. Hu, Z. H. Feng, X. X. Zhang, and Q. Hao, "Advance in 2D-EBG research," Journal of Infrared Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2003.
13. Lin, B.-Q., Q.-R. Zheng, and N.-C. Yuan, "A novel spiral high impedance surface structure for size reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 9, Sep. 2007.
14. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications: The Engineering Approach, Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
15. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "On the bandwidth of high-impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1341-1344, 2009.
16. Capet, N., C. Martel, J. Sokoloff, and O. Pascal, "Reduction of the mutual coupling between two adjacent patches using various ideal High Impedance Surface positionings," Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2009, 3151-3154, Mar. 23--27, 2009.
17. Capet, N., C. Martel, J. Sokoloff, and O. Pascal, "Study of the behaviour of a two layered high impedance surface with electromagnetic band gap," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2010, 1-4, Apr. 12--16, 2010.
18. Luukkonen, O., M. G. Silveirinha, A. B. Yakovlev, C. R. Simovski, I. S. Nefedov, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Effects of spatial dispersion on reflection from mushroom-type artificial impedance surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2692-2699, Nov. 2009.
19. Luukkonen, O., F. Costa, C. R. Simovski, A. Monorchio, and S. A. Tretyakov, "A thin electromagnetic absorber for wide incidence angles and both polarizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3119-3125, Oct. 2009.
20. Luukkonen, O., A. B. Yakovlev, C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Comparative study of surface waves on high-impedance surfaces with and without vias," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 5--11, 2008.
21. Joannopoulos, J. D., S. G. Johnson, J. N. Winn, and R. D. Meade, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, 2nd Ed., Princeton University Press, 2008.
22. Ngai, E. C. and D. J. Blejer, Mutual coupling analyses for small GPS adaptive arrays, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, 2001.
23. Rahmat-Samii, Y., "EBG structures for low profile antenna designs: What have we learned?," Proceedings of the Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 1-5, Nov. 11--16, 2007.
24. Pozar, D., "Considerations for millimeter wave printed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 5, 740-747, Sep. 1983.