Modeling of a ferroelectric interdigital capacitor (IDC) and its incorporating in composite right/left-handed (CRLH) unit cells is represented. To evaluate the capacitance of a multi-layered IDC structures, conformal mapping and partial capacitance methods are utilized. Furthermore, the partial displacement method is utilized to calculate the electric field distribution and the its relation in the ferroelectric layer to applied voltage is obtained. Using this relation in a phenomenological model, dependency of the relative permittivity of ferroelectric on the applied voltage is obtained. The designed unit cell is comprised of IDCs and spiral inductors. To alter the propagation constant of the unit cell by varying the applied voltage, a thin layer ofBa0.5Sr0.5TiO3 (BST-0.5) ferroelectric is incorporated underneath an IDC, called BST-0.5 varactor. The periodic structure based on the designed unit cell leads to a CRLH LWA. The Tunability of the periodic structure with three unit cell is demonstrated by varying the relative permittivity of the ferroelectric layer.
2. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
3. Anghel, A. and R. Cacoveanu, "Improved composite right/left-handed cell for leaky-wave antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 59-69, 2011.
4. Liu, C. Y., Q. X. Chu, and J. Q. Huang, "Double-side radiating leaky-wave antenna based on composite right/left-handed coplanar-waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 11-19, 2010.
5. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Leaky wave antenna realization by composite right/left-handed transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 39-46, 2009.
6. Kodera, T. and C. Caloz, "Uniform ferrite-loaded open waveguide structure with CRLH response and its application to a novel backfire-to-endfire leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 784-795, Apr. 2009.
7. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transition Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2006.
8. Lim, S., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based electronically controlled transmission-line structure as a novel leaky-wave antenna with tunable radiation angle and beamwidth," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 161-173, Jan. 2005.
9. Abdalla, M. A. Y., K. Phang, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A planar electronically steerable patch array using tunable PRI/NRI phase shifters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 531-541, Mar. 2009.
10. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House Inc., 2003.
11. Nath, J., D. Ghosh, J. Maria, A. I. Kingon, W. Fathelbab, P. D. Franzon, and M. B. Steer, "An electronically tunable microstrip bandpass filter using thin-film Barium-Strontium-Titanate (BST) varactors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2707-2711, Sep. 2005.
12. Yildiz, C., K. Guney, M. Turkmen, and S. Kaya, "Neural models for coplanar strip line synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 127-144, 2007.
13. Marynowski, W., P. Kowalczyk, and J. Mazur, "On the characteristic impedance definition in microstrip and coplanar lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 219-235, 2010.
14. Gevorgian, S., T. Martinsson, L. J. P. Linnér, and E. L. Kollberg, "CAD models for multilayered substrate interdigital capacitors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 44, No. 6, 896-904, Jun. 1996.
15. Carlsson, E. and S. Gevorgian, "Conformal mapping of the field and charge distributions in multilayered substrate CPWs," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, No. 8, 1544-1552, Aug. 1999.
16. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Ed., McGraw-Hill Co., 2007.
17. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2005.
18. Gevorgian, S., L. J. P. Linnér, and E. L. Kollberg, "CAD models for shielded multilayered CPW," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 43, No. 4, 772-779, Apr. 1995.
19. Schinzinger, R. and P. A. A. Laura, Conformal Methods and Applications, Dover Publications, 2003.
20. Gevorgian, S., Ferroelectrics in Microwave Devices, Circuits and Systems, Springer-Verlag Co., 2009.
21. Vendik, O. G. and S. P. Zubko, "Ferroelectric phase transition and maximum dielectric permittivity of displacement type ferroelectrics (BaxSr1-xTiO3)," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 88, No. 9, 5343-5350, Nov. 2000.