In this paper, a new kind of printed TEM horn antenna with high-gain fed by balanced microstrip line is proposed. The radiation part of the antenna (printed on the FR4 epoxy substrate) is composed of two symmetrical triangular metal foil branches fed by balanced microstrip line. The antenna has been simulated by CST MICROWAVE STUDIO® software, and the simulated results show that the proposed antenna is a kind of traveling wave antenna. Besides, an equivalent adopted V-shaped antenna model is proposed to describe the radiation characteristic of the antenna. The simulated and measured results indicate that in the frequency range from 1.64 GHz to 9 GHz, the reflection coefficient of the antenna is less than -6 dB, and in the work frequency band, the average gain value is over 8.2 dB. The antenna gain will be improved greatly by extending the length of the dielectric slab appropriately (in the main radiation direction) without influencing the bandwidth. The measured and simulated results have a good consistency. This antenna will have wide application in the UWB field.
2. Chen, , T.-K. and G. H. Huff, "Stripline-fed archimedean spiral antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters , Vol. 10, 346-349, 2011.
3. Nakano, , H., K. Kikkawa, N. Kondo, Y. Iitsuka, and J. Yamauch, "Low-pro¯le equiangular spiral antenna backed by an EBG reflector ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1309-1318, 2009.
4., E. Bharata, A. B. Suksmono, A. Kurniawan, A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "A modified bow-tie antenna for improved pulse radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2184-2192, 2010.
5. Abe, , H., H. Tanaka, M. Tokuda, and S. Ishigami, "Optical feeding antenna with wide bandwidth for evaluation of radiated emission test sites above 1 GHz ," Electromagnetic Compatibility, IEEE International Symposium on Digital Object Identifier, 1-6, 2008.
6. Pazin, , L. and Y. Leviatan, "A compact 60-GHz tapered slot A compact 60-GHz tapered slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters , Vol. 9, 272-275, 2010.
7. Cheng, Y. J., , W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Design of a monopulse antenna using a dual V-type linearly tapered slot antenna (DVLTSA)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2903-2909, 2008.
8. Ranga, , Y., A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "Planar-monopole-fed, surface-mounted quasi-TEM horn antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2436-3429, 2010.
9. Peytavit, , E., J.-F. Lampin, T. Akalin, and L. Desplanque., "\Integrated terahertz TEM horn antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 2, 73-75, 2007.
10. Wu, F.-T. and N.-C. Yuan, "The radiation characteristic of UWB planar TEM horn antenna array," International Conference on Radar, 1-4, 2006.
11. Che, Y., , K. Li, X. Hou, and W. Tian, "Simulation of a small sized antipodal vivaldi antenna for UWB applications," IEEE International Conference, Vol. 1, 1-3, 2010.
12. Lin, , S., , S. Yang, and A. E. Fathy, "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
13. Radenamad, , D., T. Aoyagi, and A. Hirose, "Low impedance bulk LTSA," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, 882-883, 2010.
14. Janaswmy, , R. , D. H. Schaubert, and , "Characteristic impedance of a wide slot line on low-permittivity substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 900-902, 1986.