Target localization is one challenge in passive coherent location (PCL) radar system, and the time delay is the most important parameter in the location. The difficulty of time delay estimate (TDE) in PCL system is that the target signal is completely buried in direct path signal, multipath and clutter (DMC). The conventional clutter cancellation algorithms in matched filter (MF) are time consuming. In this paper, we propose a time delay estimate method based on blind source extraction (BSE) which directly extract the target signal from the mixed signals, thus a new passive coherent location system is built. In this model, the reference antenna is not needed any more. For low signal to interference plus noise ratio (SINR) and frequency overlapped signals in passive coherent location, we introduce the cyclostationarity to enhance the target signal. The experiments on FM broadcast signals show that the computational burden of the proposed algorithm is extremely small and the improved SNR satisfies the location requirements of PCL system.
2. Griffiths, H. D. and C. J. Baker, "Passive coherent location radar systems. Part 1: Performance prediction," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 152, No. 3, 153-159, 2005.
3. Tan, D. K. P., H. Sun, and Y. Lu, "Passive radar using global system for mobile communication signal: Theory, implementation and measurements," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 152, No. 3, 116-123, 2005.
4. Cichocki, A. and S. Amari, Blind Signal and Image Processing, Wiley Online Library, 2002.
5. Zhao, A., Y. Jiang, and W. Wang, "Exploring independent component analysis for GPR signal processing," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 6, 750-753, 2005.
6. Vrins, F., J. A. Lee, and M. Verleysen, "A minimum-range approach to blind extraction of bounded sources," IEEE Trans. Neural Networks, Vol. 18, No. 3, 809-822, 2007.
7. Vander Veen, A. J., S. Talwar, and A. Paulraj, Blind identification of FIR channels carrying multiple finite alphabet signals, 1995 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 2, 1213-1216, 1995.
8. Abed-Meraim, K., Y. Xiang, and J. H. Manton, "Blind source-separation using second-order cyclostationary statistics," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 49, No. 4, 694-701, 2001.
9. Mitilineos, S. A., D. M. Kyriazanos, O. E. Segou, J. N. Goufas, and S. C. A. Thomopoulos, "Indoor localization with wireless sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 441-474, 2010.
10. Kihira, K., R. Takahashi, and K. Hirata, "An adaptive array antenna using blind extraction of signal subspace in radar," IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 88, No. 9, 1752-1759, 2005.
11. Tsai, P. H. E., K. Ebrahim, G. Lange, Y. Paichard, and M. Inggs, Null placement in a circular antenna array for passive coherent location systems , 2010 IEEE Radar Conference, 1140-1143, 2010.
12. Xu, C., X. Zhang, and Z. Xu, Detection in present of reverberation combined with blind source separation and beamforming, 2010 2nd International Conference on Advanced Computer Control (ICACC), Vol. 4, 158-162, 2010.
13. De Moura, N. N., J. M. Seixas, and A. V. Greco, "Independent component analysis for optimal passive sonar signal detection," Seventh International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, 671-678, 2007.
14. Lin, H. and W. Yang, Radar target recognition using a modified fastICA algorithm plus GAs, 2006 IEEE Region 10 Conference, Vol. 84, No. 363-377, 2008.
15. Wang, S., G. Jin, G. Jin, and Y. Wang, Method to remove the interference in reflected wave of passive radar based on the improved fastICA, 9th International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments, Vol. 4-27, 2009.
16. Liu, J. X., B. Zhang, and R. Wu, "GPR ground bounce removal methods based on blind source separation," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 3, 256-259, 2006.
17. Colone, F., D. W. O'Hagan, P. Lombardo, and C. J. Baker, "A multistage processing algorithm for disturbance removal and target detection in passive bistatic radar," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 45, No. 2, 698-722, 2009.
18. Leong, W. Y. and D. P. Mandic, "Post-nonlinear blind extraction in the presence of ill-conditioned mixing," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2631-2638, 2008.
19. Li, Y. and J. Wang, "A network model for blind source extraction in various ill-conditioned cases," Neural Networks, Vol. 18, No. 10, 1348-1356, 2005.
20. Gardner, W. A. and A. Napolitano, "Cyclostationarity: Half a century of research," Signal Processing, Vol. 86, No. 4, 639-697, 2006.
21. Gardner, W. A., "Exploitation of spectral redundancy in cyclostationary signals," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 8, No. 2, 14-36, 1991.
22. Belouchrani, A., K. Abed-Meraim, J. F. Cardoso, and E. Moulines, "A blind source separation technique using second-order statistics," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 45, No. 2, 434-444, 1997.
23. Berger, C. R., B. Demissie, J. Heckenbach, P. Willett, and S. Zhou, "Signal processing for passive radar using OFDM waveforms," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 1, 226-238, 2010.
24. Farquharson, M., P. O'Shea, and G. Ledwich, "An algorithm for estimating time-varying Doppler at low SNR," IEEE Region 10, TENCON 2005, 1-6, 2005.
25. Barros, A. K. and A. Cichocki, "Extraction of specific signals with temporal structure," Neural Comput., Vol. 13, No. 9, 1995-2003, 2001.
26. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Deterministic blind beamforming for electromagnetic vector sensor array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 363-377, 2008.
27. Hyvarinen, A., "Fast and robust fixed-point algorithms for independent component analysis," IEEE Trans. Neural Networks, Vol. 10, No. 3, 626-634, 1999.
28. Behrens, R. T. and L. L. Scharf, "Signal processing applications of oblique projection operators," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 6, 1413-1424, 1994.
29. Mansour, A., N. Ohnishi, and C. G. Puntonet, "Blind multiuser separation of instantaneous mixture algorithm based on geometrical concepts," Signal Processing, Vol. 82, No. 8, 1155-1175, 2002.
30. Peng, C. Y. and X. D. Zhang, "On recursive oblique projectors," IEEE Signal Process Lett., Vol. 12, No. 6, 433-436, 2005.
31. Li, X. and X. Zhang, "Sequential blind extraction adopting second-order statistics," IEEE Signal Process Lett., 1-4, 2006.
32. Zhang, Y. and C. Wang, "Adaptive time delay estimation method with signal selectivity," 2002 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 1477-1480, 2002.
33. Zhang, X., G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind direction of angle and time delay estimation algorithm for uniform linear array employing multi-invariance MUSIC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 11-20, 2010.
34. Chevalier, P., "On the blind implementation of the ultimate source separators for arbitrary noisy mixtures," Signal Processing, Vol. 78, No. 3, 277-287, 1999.
35. Ginolhac, G. and G. Jourdain, "Principal component inverse' algorithm for detection in the presence of reverberation," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, 277-287, 2002.
36. Schell, S. V. and W. A. Gardner, "The Cramer-Rao lower bound for directions of arrival of Gaussian cyclostationary signals," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 38, No. 4, 1418-1422, 1992.
37. Howland, P. E., D. Maksimiuk, and G. Reitsma, "FM radio based bistatic radar," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 152, No. 3, 107-115, 2005.