A proximity-fed annular slot antenna for UWB applications with a band rejection using different techniques is presented. The proposed antenna provides an UWB performance in the frequency range of ≈2.84 to ≈8.2 GHz with relatively stable radiation parameters. Three different techniques to construct a resonant circuit for the proposed antenna are investigated to achieve the band-notch property in the band ≈5.11 to ≈5.69 GHz band which include the WLAN and HIPERLAN/2 services without degrading the UWB performance of the antenna. Three resonators are considered; a single complementary split ring resonator (CSRR), a complementary spiral loop resonator (CSLR) and a spurline slot. Furthermore, the band-notched resonance frequency and the bandwidth can be easily controlled by adjusting the dimensions of the resonator. The proposed antenna is simulated, fabricated and measured. The measured data show very good agreements with the simulated results. The proposed antenna provides almost omnidirectional patterns, relatively flat gain and high radiation efficiency over the entire UWB frequency excluding the rejected band.
2. Jafari, H. M., M. J. Deen, S. Hranilovic, and N. K. Nikolova, "Slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 1107-1110, Albuquerque, Jul. 2006.
3. Danideh, A., R. Sadeghi Fakhr, and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband co-planar microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 81-89, 2008.
4. Schantz, H. G. and G. P. Wolenec, "Ultra-wideband antenna having frequency selectivity," U.S. Patent Publication, No. 2003/0090436 A1, 2003.
5. Choi, W., K. Chung, J. Jung, and J. Choi, "Compact ultrawideband printed antenna with band-rejection characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 18, 990-991, Sep. 2005.
6. Chawanonphithak, K., C. Phongcharoenpanich, S. Kosulvit, and M. Krairiksh, "5.8 GHz notched UWB bidirectional elliptical ring antenna excited by circular monopole with curved slot ," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 653-656, Dec. 2007.
7. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kim, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 7, 403-405, Apr. 2004.
8. Ma, T. G. and S. J. Wu, "Ultrawideband band-notched folded strip monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2473-2479, Sep. 2007.
9. Nguyen, C. and C. Hsieh, "Millimeter wave printed circuit spurline filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, 98-100, Jun. 1983.
10. Nguyen, F. C. and K. Chang, "On the analysis and design of spurline bandstop filters," EEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1416-1421, Dec. 1985.
11. Tu, W. H. and K. Chang, "Compact microstrip bandstop filter using open stub and spurline," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 4, 268-270, Apr. 2005.
12. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2 GHz notched ultrawideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, Mar. 2006.
13. Chang, T.-N. and M.-C. Wu, "Band-notched design for UWB antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Progag. Lett., Vol. 7, 636-640, 2008.
14. Zhang, Y., W. Hong, C. Yu, Z.-Q. Kuai, Y.-D. Don, and J.-Y. Zhou, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with multiple notched bands based on etched slots on the patch and/or split ring resonators on the feed line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 3063-3068, Sep. 2008.
15. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, D.-M. Choi, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the novel band notched UWB antenna with the spiral loop resonators ," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 2, 173-176, 2010.
16. Choi, J., S. Hong, and U. Kim, "The design of an UWB antenna with notch characteristic," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 987-990, 2007.
17. Angelopouslos, E. S., A. Z. Anastopoulos, D. I. Kaklamani, A. A. Alexandridis, F. Lazarakis, and K. Dangakis, "Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Progag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 294-297, 2006.
18. Saad, A. A. R., E. E. M. Khaled, and D. A. Salem, "Novel design of proximity-fed ultra-wide band annular slot antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 1429-1433, Suzhou, China, Sep. 12-16, 2011.
19. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. Marques, F. Falcone, T. G. Lopetegui, M. A. Laso, J. Garcia, I. Gil, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent circuit models for spilt ring resonators and complementary split ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1451-1461, Apr. 2005.
20. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. SegoviaVargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antenna loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromanetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
21. Wu, H. W., M. H. Weng, Y. K. Su, R. Y. Yang, and C. Y. Hung, "Propagation characteristics of complementary spliting resonator for wide bandgap enhancement in microstrip bandpass filter ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 2, 292-295, 2007.
22. Lee, Y. J. and Y. Hao, "Characterization of microstrip patch antennas on metamaterial substrates loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 8, 2131-2135, 2008.