|In this paper, a careful study is made of the magnetostatic potential and eld of a magnetic dipole embedded in, and with dipole moment parallel to, the interface between two magnetic regions. Unlike the case of a magnetic dipole perpendicular to the interface, the detailed position of the current of the dipole relative to the location of the interface has a profound effect on the value of the field produced away from the dipole. As a consequence, the question of dening and determining the magnetic polarizability of a superconducting object partially embedded in a magnetic interface is examined. The results of this paper are important for the proper modeling of arrays of scatterers embedded in an interface, such as frequency-selective surfaces (FSSs) and metalms.
2. Mohamed, M. A., Generalized Sheet Transition Conditions for Metafilm and Its Applications, Ch. 4, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2005.
3. Holloway, C. L., M. A. Mohamed, E. F. Kuester, and A. Dienstfrey, "Reflection and transmission properties of a metafilm: With an application to a controllable surface composed of resonant particles," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 47, 853-865, 2005.
4. Holloway, C. L., P. Kabos, M. A. Mohamed, E. F. Kuester, M. D. Janezic, and J. Baker-Jarvis, "Realization of a controllable metafilm (`Smart Surface') composed of resonant magnetodielectric particles: Measurements and theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 853-865, 2005.
5. Mohamed, M. A., E. F. Kuester, M. Piket-May, and C. L. Holloway, "The field of an electric dipole and the polarizability of a conducting object embedded in the interface between dielectric materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 1-20, 2009.
6. Boella, M. and F. Einaudi, "Note didattiche sul problema di Sommerfeld," Atti Accad. Sci. Torino, Cl. Sci. Fis. Mat. Nat., Vol. 96, 820-838, 1962.
7. Adonina, A. I. and V. V. Shcherbak, "Equivalent boundary conditions at a metal grating situated between two magnetic materials," Zh. Tekh. Fiz., Vol. 34, 333-335, 1964 (in Russian), [English Translation in Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., Vol. 9, 261-263, 1964].
8. Bankov, S. Y. and I. V. Levchenko, "Equivalent boundary conditions for a closely spaced ribbon grating at the interface of two media," Radiotekh. Elektron, Vol. 33, 2045-2050, 1988, (in Russian) [English Translation in Sov. J. Commun. Technol. Electron., Vol. 34, No. 5, 67-72, 1989].
9. Hanson, J. D. and S. P. Hirshman, "Compact expressions for the Biot-Savart fields of a filamentary segment," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 9, 4410-4412, 2002.
10. Durand, E., "Magnetostatique,", Masson et Cie., Paris, 1968.
11. Portis, A. M., Electromagnetic Fields: Sources and Media, 217, Wiley, New York, 1978.
12. Gri±ths, D. J., "Introduction to Electrodynamics," Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1999.
13. Sezginer, A., T. M. Habashy, and J. R. Wait, "An image method to compute the static magnetic field due to currents injected into a homogeneous, conducting, and magnetically polarizable half-space," Radio Science, Vol. 23, 41-45, 1988.
14. Idemen, M., "Universal boundary relations for the electromagnetic field," J. Phys. Soc. Japan, Vol. 59, 71-80, 1990.
15. Baum, C. E., "The magnetic polarizability dyadic and point symmetry," Detection and Identification of Visually Obscured Targets, C. E. Baum, Ed., 219-242, Taylor and Francis, Philadelphia, 1998, [Also AFWL Interaction Note 502, Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, NM, 1994].
16. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., Sections 5.11-5.12, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1998.