In this paper, band pass filters based on the microstrip configuration and utilizing coupled defected ground structures are presented. The 50 Ω microstrip line has a gap discontinuity in the middle and characterized by stepped impedance resonators on either half. The four fractal geometries tested for defected ground are the first and second iterations of the modified Moore curve, the closed staircase curve and a dual concentric closed staircase curve. The filters have a compact size and planar geometry. The modified Moore first iteration has a measured pass band from 2.27 GHz to 11.86 GHz, whereas the second iteration has a measured pass band from 1.85 GHz to 6.71 GHz. The measured pass band of the closed staircase is from 2.38 GHz to 7.21 GHz. The dual-concentric closed-staircase DGS filter offers a dual-band response with the measured pass band being from 2.41 GHz to 5.01 GHz and from 5.81 GHz to 8.35 GHz. All the filters are intended for UWB applications. A parametric study for the controlling parameters is also presented.
2. Liu, H. W., Z. C. Zhang, X. H. Guan, and S. Jiang, A bandpass filter based on fractal shaped defected ground structure resonators for wireless communication, 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 201-203, 2010.
3. Huang, J.-F., J.-Y. Wen, and M.-C. Huang, Design of a compact planar UWB filter for wireless communication applications, International Conference on Wireless Communications & Signal Processing, WCSP 2009, 13-15, Nov. 2009.
4. Jarry, P., J. Beneat, and E. Kerherve, Fractal microwave filters, 2010 IEEE 11th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), Vol. 1, No. 5, Apr. 12-13, 2010.
5. Xiao, J.-K., Q.-X. Chu, and S. Zhang, "Novel microstrip triangular resonator bandpass filter with transmission zeros and wide bands using fractal shaped defection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 343-356, 2007.
6. Chen, J., Z.-B.Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of Hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
7. Patin, J. M., N. R. Labadie, and S. K. Sharma, "Investigations on an H-fractal wideband microstrip filter with multi-passbands and a tuned notch band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 285-303, 2010.
8. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and Q. Peng, "Fractal-shaped complementary electric-LC resonator for bandstop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 205-217, 2011.
9. Kim, I. K., N. Kingsley, M. Morton, R. Bairavasubramanian, J. Papapolymerou, M. M. Tentzeris, and J.-G. Yook, "Fractal shaped microstrip coupled line band pass filters for suppression of second harmonic," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 9, Paper No. 2898, 2943-2948, 2005.
10. Ali, J. K. and H. Alsaedi, "Second harmonic reduction of miniaturized dual-mode microstrip band pass filters using fractal shaped open stub resonators," PIERS Proceedings, 1266-1269, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 27-30, 2012.
11. Taher, H. M., "A simplified equivalent circuit model for defected ground structures in planar transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 29, 157-166, 2012.
12. Guo, Y. H. and Q. Wang, "An improved parameters extraction method for dumbbell shaped defected ground structure," Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 3, 197-200, 2010.
13. Breed, G., "An introduction to defected ground structures in microstrip circuits," High Frequency Electronics, 50-52, Nov. 2008.
14. Chaudhary, G., P. Kim, Y. Jeong, J. Lim, and J. Lee, Analysis and circuit modeling method for defected microstrip structure in planar transmission lines, Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2011, 999-1002, 2011.