This paper presents analytical formulas, based on the "thin wire model", for calculating the ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) sub-sea electromagnetic field produced by a submarine power cable. Two different models are studied: the first and simpler one (already present in literature) is based on the infinite sea model while the second and more realistic one, that we propose, takes into account of the seabed presence with the sea considered having finite depth. The shielding effect produced by cable sheath and armouring is taken into account by means of suitable shielding factors. Some examples of application of the two models are shown and the relevant results are compared between them.
2. Siegel, M. and R. W. P. King, "Radiation from linear antennas in a dissipative half-space," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 19, No. 4, 477-485, 1971.
3. Kraichman, M. B., Handbook of Electromagnetic Propagation in Conducting Media, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1976.
4. Inan, A. S., A. C. Fraser-Smith, and O. G. Villard, Jr., "ULF/ELF electromagnetic ¯elds produced in a conducting medium of infinite extent by linear current sources of infinite length," Radio Science , Vol. 18, No. 6, 1383-1392, 1983.
5. Gill, A. B., I. Gloyne-Phillips, K. J. Neal, and J. A. Kimber, "The potential effects of electromagnetic fields generated by sub-sea power cables associated with offshore wind farm developments on electrically and magnetically sensitive organisms --- - A review," COWRIE 1.5, Final Report,, 2005.
6. OSPAR Commission 2008, "Background document on potential problems associated with power cables other than those for oil and gas activities," Publication No. 370, 2008.
7. Ollson, T., A. Larsson, P. Bergsten, and J. Nissen, "Impact of electric and magnetic field from sub-sea cables on marine organisms --- The current status of knowledge," Final Report, Vattenfall, 2010.
8. Gills, A. B., Y. Huang, J. Spencer, and I. Gloyne-Phillips, "Electromagnetic fields emitted by high voltage alternating current o®shore wind power cables and interactions with marine organisms,".
9. Huang, Y. and I. Gloyne-Phillips, "Electromagnetic simulation of 135 kV three-phase submarine power cables," Report Version 1.2, CMACS (Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies Ltd.), 2005.
10. Slater, M., R. Jones, and A. Schultz, "The prediction of electro-magnetic field generated by submarine power cables," Oregon Wave Energy Trust, Report 0905-00-007, 2010.
11. Tsiamitros, D. A., G. K. Papagiannis, D. P. Labridis, and P. S. Dokopoulos, Earth return path impedances of underground cables for the two-layer earth case, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2174-2180, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2005.
12. Du, , Y. and J. Burnett, "Magnetic shielding principles of linear cylindrical shield at power-frequency," IEEE 1996 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 488-493, 1996.
13. Du, Y. and J. Burnett, "Optimal magnetic shielding of double-layer shields at power-frequency," IEEE 1997 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 191-196, 1997.
14. Bianchi, G. and G. Luoni, "Induced currents and losses in single-core submarine cables," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 95, No. 1, 49-58, 1976.